If I purchase a used car, should I buy one that CPO? or does it really matter?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2011

I purchased my 1990 toyota camry 10 years ago. I love that little car. But, sadly, it's at a age now where mechanics are saying there's no point in repairing it (needs a new head gasket and who knows what else).

So, I want to stick with Toyota Camry. But I'm having a hard time finding them on Craigslist. I found some, though, through dealers. They are CPO. Does that really mean anything?

And if I buy it through a dealer, is there anything I need to know first? Will I need to take it into my mechanic or because it's CPO, it's already gone through vigorous testing?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2011

I just called the Toyota dealership and their lowest rate is 2.5. Is that decent, you think?

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 23, 2011

2.5 is pretty good, but I would double check if that is for new or used cars, sometimes there are different rates. The difference in CPO and not is that the dealership usually includes a warranty with CPO and if it is not CPO, it is something you would have to purchase additionally.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2011

She said that's the lowest rate, for people with good credit-which I do, for used cars.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 23, 2011

Call and ask a sales person what the advantages are of CPO, each car manufacturer has something a little different. I have heard a lot on the news about good used cars becoming a shortage over the next year or two because of people not trading in their cars to get new cars and fewer cars being manufactured, so that may need to weigh in your decision of when to buy.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2011

8. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 30, 2011

I am a big believer in the CarFax reports - got a 2004 CRV and I am very happy with the car.