If I ever left, I'd miss "teaching"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bella2010, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 15, 2013

I didn't want to hijack Pisces_Fish's thread. :) But what Pisces_Fish said about mourning a part of teaching if leaving really resonated with me.

I've toyed with the idea of leaving for the past few years. I've stayed because I keep thinking things will get better (haha), and I really can't think of anything else I'd do.

As I've mentioned before, I've had a student teacher this semester. When she took over 100%, I realized how much I really miss teaching. It's the other crap, requirements, expectations, responsibility and general BS that makes me want to leave. If I'd just be able to "teach" without fear of what'll happen if my test scores are low; without fear of my admin not backing me; without fear of not having my benchmarks charted; without fear of parents blaming me for every little thing; without fear of every kid passing or else being judged; and without fear of being on my P's poop list for not wearing an ugly Christmas sweater. :p I had to throw that one in there.

Venting over,

Beth

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 15, 2013

Not every school is like that Bella. I'd definitely looking into switching schools before completely leaving.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2013

I left teaching for 5 years to be a SAHM.

Aside from winning Lotto, that's the only reason I would ever leave teaching, at least at this point in my life.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2013

I'm so much the same way. I have such issues with self-confidence, and am so anxious about every decision in the classroom, but deep down, I know how much I love this profession and want the absolute best for each kid that I'd definitely miss it.

6. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Dec 15, 2013

I would miss teaching. I would not miss paperwork, referrals, and feeling like I can't win. Paperwork consumes me, and as soon as I get it all completed there's another referral in my box. On top of this, I have a self-contained class with a variety of students in it. I have to give them busy work when I'm at these meetings because my assistant refuses to introduce anything new. She refuses to do most things I ask. Not in a confrontation way. But, I come back and the work hasn't been introduced or completed, and when I ask her about it she just shrugs. It's crazy. Truly crazy. No one cares to help, because they don't have to. I am trying to leave. I'm applying for EVERYTHING I see. No calls yet. I mentally can not take it anymore. When I leave teaching I won't even renew my license. I left once for 2 years and dumb me came back. Unfortunately, I lived in a different state when I left, and I can't go back to that job. I loved teaching. But, now I see it as something that is holding me back from enjoying my life. I'm done. Completely done. I feel extremely guilty for feeling this way. I continue to put a smile on my face, and only my closest teaching friends know how I truly feel. Administration will be shocked when I leave. I don't complain. There's no need to. That will only make me look weak. I have asked for help. I have stated that I didn't want the team leader role anymore (a role I get paid no extra money for.) Nothing has been done. So, I figure no one cares. I just want out!

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2013

^^^ I completely agree with your sentiments and frustrations - I just want out. I'm also applying like crazy for other jobs.

Good luck! :hugs:

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 15, 2013

Same here.

I, too, am thinking this year will likely be my last - at least in SPED. It's prob not going to make any major difference, but I may give regular ed another shot before fully walking away. The only "good" days are the ones where I get to teach, and those seem to be so few and far between. Most days are consumed by meetings, dealing with behaviors no one else wants to deal with, and picking up the pieces my paras leave behind. My nights and weekends are consumed by paperwork... and not of the lesson planning kind. I go in extra early every morning for that.

I want my life back. I'm tired of working when I'm not supposed to be working. I'm tired of working so incredibly hard and having other people (my paras) be the ones who get to teach my kids. :(