IEPs and Read Aloud Tests

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeachTN, Aug 20, 2014.

1. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 20, 2014

I have a large number of students that require oral testing (their tests are read to them). In previous years, we had EAs (teacher assistants) who would read these for us in a separate setting. Apparently this year I have to do this on my own.

Has anyone had to do a read aloud for IEP/504 plan students within the classroom while others are testing? I am not quite sure how to do this without disrupting other students. Personally, if I am taking a test and there is another noise in the room, I am completely distracted and cannot focus. I worry about those students as well as making sure to abide by the IEP. :dizzy::dizzy:

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 20, 2014

My first year as a special ed teacher, I had to do read-alouds in the classroom. I'd pull kids to the back and whisper as softly as possible. Last year with my blind student as a gen ed teacher, there was usually somebody to read for her (and pull her out). If I had to read for her, I took her to the back of the classroom, and asked the students closest to me to raise their hand if they heard me reading.

4. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 20, 2014

I've only had to do this for an ELL student. Generally, I would take her to the back table and read quietly to her. Thankfully, none of the students in my room were bothered by it. Have you talked to your principal to see if you can borrow a para for those occasions? Maybe he or she would spring for ear plugs if it bothers others in the class. Not sure if any of that helps!

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 20, 2014

That stinks. I hope you can somehow read to the child quietly so the others aren't bothered. My child would be so distracted by a teacher talking, even in a whisper.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2014

No chance of recording the test on a digital recorder and putting earphones on them? I have seen this work at the high school level.

7. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 20, 2014

That's a really good idea, you might have to train them to work the recorder so that they can replay the questions if they need to.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2014

I've always hated this. Not only are kids distracted by my voice, I can't monitor them well either. And for my SpEd kiddos, at least one always gets tired of waiting and goes ahead. It is so frustrating in every way!

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2014

This is what I did when I was in the classroom as well. It wasn't the most ideal situation, but it worked.

Great idea!!

And those that moved ahead always seemed to do the worst. :(

10. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Aug 21, 2014

I had to do this a lot of times last year….. Like others, it was not ideal but I didn't have a choice so I made it work.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 21, 2014

Can you reach out to your principal (or at my school we could also talk to the director of student services/guidance counselor since she handles this too) and ask for some strategies on how they would do this? When I've had issues like this I made sure I used admin approved methods instead of deciding on my own- that way if a parent has an issue with it, you know you have your admin backing you up.

In my case, when I had students who need to be read to orally, I would as the guidance counselor or another teacher who had a prep to help out (I would then cover one of their duties as "repayment"). Sometimes I had to keep students in at recess or after school to do it with them, with the permission of the parents ahead of time.