IEP writing software and looking for a job...

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by K-5*Newbie*, Jan 14, 2009.

1. K-5*Newbie*

K-5*Newbie* Rookie

Jan 14, 2009

My question contains 2 parts :)

I've been googling "sample special education interview questions" and a lot of them ask about current IEP writing software...um...what? Is there a certain brand, or are there a million of the on the market? Is there a better one? Do you use one? Are they helpful?

I am aslo becoming certified to teache Special Education and will be rending out my resumes in March. What type of intereview questions do you usually get asked, pertaining to special education only?

3. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

As far as the software, sometimes districts use specific software, and they would just like to know if you have any experience with it, but if not, they will train you.
    My district uses Welligent. It's all online.

4. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Jan 14, 2009

We use tienet, but I was never asked about it in an interview. I wouldn't focus on the software aspect of things.

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jan 14, 2009

we just have templates that use adobe....

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jan 14, 2009

My last district used eSped.com. It was all online and much better than doing it by hand.

7. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

we use genesea but I would focus your response on how to collaboration with the IEP team to write defensible/measurable goals.

8. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jan 16, 2009

I have used a few different software programs in my years. I don't recall ever being asked that question in an interview. Of course, my first job was very rural and we wrote all IEPs in triplicate by hand (excruciating!!! I don't miss those days.). When I came to my current district, we used IEP Writer Pro. It was ok. Then I transferred from middle school to elementary and there wasn't an accepted program. I finally got access to IEP Writer Pro (I'm rare about liking technology). Now we use Progress Book (specifically the Special Services Module). I really like it. It is online (IEP Writer Pro was not) so I can access it anywhere I have internet. It has all forms needed to comply with state law, and also has the evaluation forms for ETR. So in my opinion, by all means you will want to type your IEPs. I feel it makes it much neater, faxes a lot better, and doesn't hurt my hands!

Other interview questions could possibly relate to your philosophy of teaching, your knowledge of the state's standards as applies to the sp ed population, your knowledge of academic content standards, theories of inclusion (Ohio has 4 models, and I have been asked about them), best practices regarding accommodations/modifications, a specific example of how you would accommodate for a student, collaboration with other staff, differentiation, .....

It could go anywhere with the current buzzwords of education. Good luck!

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 16, 2009

I have never used it but I have heard of something called IEP DIrect.

10. rrhelpplease

rrhelpplease Rookie

Jan 18, 2009

Most district I have work in use IEP direct. It is a pretty simple program with goals written and the abilty to write your own. It is broken down into sub topics i.e. social, reading life skills ect..
    I hope this helps but I have never been asked about software just if I was able to test and then write goals