IEP (vision statement)

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by krisaustin, Sep 16, 2006.

1. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Sep 16, 2006

I am a new teacher and will be doing IEPs within the next month. I was wondering how people go about filling in the vision statement part of the IEP. In Ohio the parents say where they see their child in the future. I was wondering if anyone sends home a questioniare and if so what kind of questions do you include.

3. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 18, 2006

I teach sped. I usually fill it out at the IEP meeting. I take what the parents are saying. I also know my parents very well, so I can get a feel for what they would like. If I have it written, at the meeting we edit it to what they want.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 18, 2006

On my IEPs last year, there was a spot for "parental education concerns." I usually read what they had said last year (they're computerized, so i had it right there), and then ask if they have anything to add or change. I always offered them the chance to come back to it at the end, since that was about the 2nd page of the meeting!

5. minniemouse

minniemouse Rookie

Sep 18, 2006

Hmm...I don't think I've ever seen a vision statement on any of my IEPs. I know that at the school I used to work at the high school TMH teacher had to do a type of vision statement that went along with their transition plan. She always asked the parents what they wanted, and also the student themselves. Sorry I can't be more help, but like I said, I haven't seen that on any of my IEPs. I have the parental concerns section on mine too. But I rarely have parents attend IEP meetings so all I put is "parents have not expressed concerns." Unless I know the parent has a concern.

6. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Sep 19, 2006

The Massachusetts IEP has both "parent concerns" and "vision statement"--in my meetings ,we tend to look at the "parent concerns" in the beginning of the meeting, and end by asking them their "vision"--where do you see your child in 5 years?

7. sva

sva Rookie

Sep 23, 2006

I send a paper home prior to the IEP conference so they have some time to consider the idea. We have a "parent concern" section as well as a vision section and I think they get confused.

I am not at school right now but I will try to send you some of the questions or statements that I send home prior to the meeting.