IEP Question

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by vateacher757, May 15, 2009.

1. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

May 15, 2009

The teacher who I am an assistant for had an IEP meeting with a parent this week.

The parent wanted to have a few items about his behavior removed and administration let it be removed. IMO, they were pertinent to his behavior and the next teacher/administation needs to know. One was constant racial slurs and the other was a threatening message left on the classrooms voice mail that actually got him a charge that resulted in a plea agreement.

Being new to education and SpEd perhaps I am missing something. :D

3. AZSpedtchr

AZSpedtchr Rookie

May 20, 2009

I wonder how the info was worded......you have to be careful to be very politically correct and not let your opinion "leak" into the IEP writeups. As long as it was factual and could be proven, I see nothing wrong with what happened. If the student goes to another district, they need to know that info. Mom probably won't share it willingly! Parents are PART of the IEP team, but should not be the ones running the show.

4. SuperBug!

SuperBug! Rookie

May 22, 2009

I've removed things from an IEP on a parent request, I usually just go with it because it makes them feel like they have some power in the decision making process. If there's something significant behavior-wise that I feel would be important for another teacher to know, I usually just include a note in the file. That seems to be a good middle ground.

5. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

May 22, 2009

Stuff like that should stay in the student's file anyway, and every teacher that teaches that child has access to that.

6. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

May 23, 2009

That's what I thought should happen CanadianTeacher.

This child has very strong racist views that got seriously out of control - he was calling everyone in the class the "N" word daily from the teachers to the students. He was threatening to another(caucasian student) saying things like he wished the student had died when he had his surgery etc etc etc.....he left a bomb or blow up the school message on our classrooms phone one night and was charged by the district attorneys office. He will be moving from middle school to high school next year with a new administation and teacher. The last time I saw him a few months ago(he has been homebound since Nov) he looked scary, a Charles Manson kinda look.

In this particular case I believe the parent runs the show when it comes to the IEP and her child. The school district just gives her what she wants.

7. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

May 23, 2009

Wow, that's pretty scary!

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

May 23, 2009

I wouldn't be too worried about something like that being in the IEP. Like others have said, there's most likely a note about it somewhere in the file even though it was taken off the IEP.

9. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

May 23, 2009

I know if I were the aide or teacher getting that child or any child I would like to know what I am being given, kwim? I wouldn't want to be caught off guard.