IEP on the computer

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Seich30, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jul 27, 2002

Anyone out there doing IEP's on the computer instead of manually? We just started last year in my district. Do you like it? Has is posed any problems??

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 28, 2002

We can do ours on computer or by hand. It is the same form. I rather do it on the computer because my handwriting get horrible as the IEPs go on and on and on. I find myself rushing when I hand write. I like using the computer so I can spellcheck. The typed looks more professional, too. The only thing is when something is added at the IEP meeting, then you have typed and hand writing. BUT life goes on, the parents take the papers and we hope all is happy! :)

Lori

4. suriley

suriley Rookie

Jul 28, 2002

Yes, I would rather do the IEP's on the computer because we are getting more and more paperwork in our IEP's every year.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 28, 2002

Yeah, tell me about it... paperwork out the behind. I think Alabama passed a law trying to minimize our paper work... YEAH RIGHT! We get new IEP forms and more crap to go along with it. They keep changing and adding. If the ones making all these forms could remember what it was like to teach and do paper work (IF they even taughy any), they would be more understanding and shrink something.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 28, 2002

I have done IEPs by hand and by computer. I prefer computer generated IEPs. They aren't as time consuming and they look better. If additions are made at the meetings, I can go back into my program, edit in the new info, and send it on. In Missouri, we have 20 days to get the final copy to parents.

7. suriley

suriley Rookie

Jul 29, 2002

I live in Florida and we also are suppose to not have as much paperwork - but what they have done is just shrunk everything!!!

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 29, 2002

Yeah... funds... help... their brains... :) I know what you mean... I think we ALL do. Awful isn't it!

9. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jul 29, 2002

Wow, I'm impressed that you have 20 days to get IEP to parents. In Florida, we have to give at meeting or mail next day if not in attendance. Also we can never do an initial staffing on the computer, because the first thing the program asks for is the ID#, which they don't have unit they enroll. Kinda a pain. Our program is networked to the main county server so we have to have internet access inorder to use. I'm in a portable, and just now got access via wireless internet. We only received because of a pre-k grant. Thank goodness. It makes it difficult to do when you can't do in classroom. Glad to here most people are having good luck.

10. suriley

suriley Rookie

Jul 30, 2002

Where are you in Florida? I am in Tallahassee. There must be several computer IEP programs out there. Our's is called Dynamo and that's what Leon County district uses. Our tech person for the school downloads the program on our zip disk. I bought a zip drive so that I can work on mine at home. I can get the rough draft done at home without interuptions. The STO page is what takes a lot of thought and preperation.

11. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jul 30, 2002

I'm in Lakeland Florida. Sounds great to be able to use at home. Our program is called Excent.

12. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jul 30, 2002

We also use Excent in Maryland. Not very user friendly at first, but I was able to do breeze right through after the first time. I did six summer program IEP updates (six goals per child) plus comments in an hour and a half. Not bad!

13. suriley

suriley Rookie

Jul 31, 2002

In some counties in Florida (4 to 5 years ago), their IEP goals are already listed and you just check off boxes!!! With Excent do you have the freedom to write the IEP goals from scratch or do you have a list of goals in your program? For our pre-K, we do not have a list. But, for our K-12, there is a pull down list that they use.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 31, 2002

I have been using the computer to do do my IEP's and also the progress reports. I find it a great convenience for me and has saved me a great deal of time.

15. AlliM

AlliM Guest

Aug 30, 2002

I am in a little district in California and we have been using the computer for a couple years. I find it much easier (except when the computer is down!!!). We use Omni Form.........a co-worker just discovered a way to make it so you only have to type that repetitive stuff (name, address, b-day, ssn, parent name) once and then it will fill it in on every other form!
    I understand about paperwork.......it is only August and we are already on our second version of our county forms. Discovered today that we also have a separate form we have to fill out everytime a student is suspended.....got experience with that form today when one of my Kinders was suspended for biting.

Luckily we also just discovered how to use computer generated goals and objectives so all we have to do is cut and paste.......

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Sep 12, 2002

I am in SC and they just switched us from Excent to Tranquility which is anything but! It has a lot of problems with it but it's what we're stuck with for the moment.