IEP goal collection

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by suriley, Jul 20, 2002.

1. suriley

suriley Rookie

Jul 20, 2002

I teach pre-k and have to keep data of IEP goals on 20 spec. ed. kids. Does anyone have any ideas as far as devising a chart for all the students w/ their goals that is sweet and simple???

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 21, 2002

I can find you something. Right now it is at school and I'm at home. There is a task analysis sheet that a teacher uses that I am going to get from her for me to use this year. It seems pretty simple. I think there are a couple more options lingering around there, too. When do you need it? I won't see that teacher until Aug 8th when we go back to school. I can scan the sheets and email them to you or if you want to email me a mailing address for your school, I can put it in the mail right after I get a copy from that teacher. Either way, let me know.

Lori
    lori@urisp.net

4. suriley

suriley Rookie

Jul 21, 2002

Sounds Great!

You can just e-mail them to me at suriley@earthlink.net
    Teachers report August 12th with students starting the following week. Thank you sooooo much. I'm just looking for a very simple, easy to read format that won't be cumbersome that I can record each students IEP Goals and Objectives (20 students!) with data collection on where they are with each goal. Each student has approx. 8 goals with 16 objectives!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Suriley:)

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 21, 2002

That is a LOT of goals and objectives. The task analysis sheet will make it much easier. You can put them on a clipboard and flip at a glance. Tie a pin on a string to the clipboard and THERE YA GO! With you starting school after me that will give me time to get the email to you. If I find anything like it online, I'll let you know!

Lori

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 21, 2002

SEE... there's a typo... tie a PEN to a string... ANYWAY!! LOL!

Lori

7. suriley

suriley Rookie

Jul 21, 2002

I didn't even catch your typo until you said something!!!
    I am excited to see what the task analysis sheet looks like - Thanks Again! Susan

8. teachergary

teachergary Guest

Jul 22, 2002

put them on this site

Why don't you post the goals and benchmarks sheets on this web-site, or just an example of one page, we can see how to set it up......I'd like to see this method myself.. Your Friend in Combat, Gary Morris

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 22, 2002

Sure, if I can figure out how to do that. :) I know how to surf the web... haven't mastered putting stuff on it yet. :)

OH OH OH!!! I just thought of something!! We use the BRIGANCE for some of out IEP testing and goal writing. There is a classroom record book that goes with that! I'll have to check that out and see if that would be something you could use. Hmm... copyright problems though? We'll figure out something. I'll be looking!

Lori

10. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Jul 22, 2002

Hey Lori, Can you e-mail me your analysis sheets too? I'll be happy to return the favor if I find anythinmg you (or anyone else) can use. Thank you!

A J

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 22, 2002

I would be glad to email it to any of you. I guess I need to start making a list of who all wants it. I'd hate to forget someone.

I know each child has a sheet (or 2 depending on how many objectives in the IEP). It lists the objectives down the page. Out to the side you mark on a daily basis if the activity was performed by putting the percentage (ex. 50%) or how many out of how many (3/6) in the box depending on what achievement level was set for each objective. It makes it easy to go back at each report card time and tally up the final achievement score.

That helps if you have a parent question the progress of the child.

Lori

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 22, 2002

I've been thinking. I think the words I am looking for instead of task analysis is data collection. Anyway. I'll let you know.

Lori

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 23, 2002

Lori, please email me the data collection form too. I am a new spec. ed. teacher and need all the help I can get! That would be great!
    Jill
    Sneedfish@aol.com

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 23, 2002

I put you on the list Jill. :)

Lori

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 24, 2002

Lori, please add me to your e-mail list and send me a copy of the
    data collection sheet. I'm also a new special education teacher and I need plenty of help.

Thanks,
    Holly hterrell@netdoor.com

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 24, 2002

Lori, Please add me to the list too and send me a data collection sheet as well. I am returning back to work as a sped. teacher after a one year maternity leave and I always welcome help and ideas.

Thanks,
    Susan SGPoverman@aol.com

17. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jul 24, 2002

Hey,
    You are very popular. Could you please also email the sheet to me at mitzi-6@msn.com. Thanks!!! Sharlene

18. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 24, 2002

Sure, you are on the list :) Now, after I get this to everyone, I hope no one is disappointed in it. :)

Lori

19. teachergary

teachergary Guest

Jul 25, 2002

IEP sheets

You can post the info on this web-site, this would save you a lot of e-mails, plus, everybody would have access to them. e-mail Amanda (manager of this web-site) she knows how, Your Friend in Combat, Gary Morris

20. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 25, 2002

that would be easier. :)

21. lisalew

lisalew Guest

Jul 31, 2002

Can you add another????

Lori - I'd love to be added to your list. I know this seems to be taking on a life of its own for you, but I am teaching K-3 Learning Impaired for the first time this year, and I'd love to see your data collection sheet. Thanks!
    mybrowniemixx@hotmail.com

Lisa

22. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 31, 2002

Gotcha on there Lisa. I am still waiting to meet up with the teacher that has the sheet. I emailed her and asked her to leave me a copy in my box, but she hasn't been up to school yet. So, I'm still waiting. If I could remember more of what it looked like I could make one on the computer, but I didn't get THAT good of a look at it. :(

Lori

23. KLaMonda

KLaMonda Rookie

Aug 1, 2002

I would love to be on your list as well! I was actually going to start a thread to get suggestions on keeping track of goals, but then I found this! The idea of the data sheet sounds kinda simple- am I missing something? Is it something you could make on your own on EXCEL or something?

24. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 1, 2002

Yeah, it is simple. I am sure it can be done spread sheet style. You know, now that I've thought about it. You could modify a class roll sheet. Instead of writing the names down the left side of the paper... write the goals/objectives and out by it is each day listed. GOOD GRIEF! Why didn't I figure that out earlier?! Having a DUH!! moment. :rolleyes: So, If you want to you could use that modification or I can still make the sheet and send it out. OR if you can find a cheap roll book/grade book and modify it. I may do that so I can keep up with it. Or if you do individual sheets later on you could put them in their file. What to do... What to do...

Do y'all still want the sheet or want to do the SIMPLE thing and get a roll/grade book and make your own? Just let me know. :) I'll figure out something. :)

Lori

25. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 2, 2002

I have made a sheet for goal/data collection on Excel, but, it took me awhile - I was just hoping that there was a prepared form out there somewhere. How would you use a grade book?

26. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 2, 2002

Each child would have a page layout. Right their name at the top. Where you normally list student's names down the left side, briefly write the goals/objectives. Then in the daily boxes that go across the page you right in a score if the objective was worked on. Like if you had... So-in-So will do ______ with 75% accuracy. Well, after they do _____ figure up if they got 75% right. Write down in that day's box what % he/she got right. OR if you wrote they will get 4 out of 5 right then you would jot down what out of 5 they got write. Then at the end of the grading period you could go back and look at their progress.

If you have a lot of students it may take 2 books. You can get a cheap one at a teacher store or just copy a page layout from the grade book that hasn't been written on and attach them in the back of the book.

Does that make sense or did it sound like I was rambling?

Lori

27. suriley

suriley Rookie

Aug 2, 2002

What a great idea!! I will have 20 ESE pre-k students and I have an empty plan book that I can use. That will be convient because it is wire bound and has lots of pages. Thanks again for a great idea.

28. AJK

Aug 2, 2002

You've sold me on that idea Lori :) We are issued plan books through the county each year. I've been throwing out those pages since they're not really convient for planning Montessori style. Duh! Funny how the most obvious idea always escapes us!

29. KLaMonda

KLaMonda Rookie

Aug 2, 2002

Anyone know of a good version of a grade book that would work nicely for this? (the name, what it looks like? where to get it?) The grade books our county gives out has such small boxes to write information, that it would not be good for this purpose, I don't think. I don't even want to use it for my grades, but they don't have the computer grading program that I used at my last year's school.

30. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 2, 2002

well then... that settles it. I'll email everyone that hasn't posted so far since the grade book idea and tell them that would be simpler. :) That will save us a lot of time and paper. :)

Lori

31. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 2, 2002

KLaMonda,

Go to a teacher store, flip through the pages til you find a book with big enough boxes. I figure I'll just write small. I'll get a good FINE tip pen and attach it to the book so I won't lose it. :)

32. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 5, 2002

Re: IEP collective form

I would like to have a copy of that form too. My new job is regular classroom (regular ed) but they grouped them by ability and I have 7 IEP's.

Thanks
    Keitha
    pryrwaryr@hotmail.com

33. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 5, 2002

Keitha,

A grade book can be used for the same thing. In previous posts on here, I mentioned how to modify it. I will be getting the form from another teacher Thursday, but a grade book would work fine if you can write small enough to put a percentage or a fraction.

Lori :)

34. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 7, 2002

hey lori,
    could you add me to your email list? I'm a new sp.ed. student and i think your grade book idea is great. i would still like to see the sheets your talking about.

Thanks,
    Christina (christylozano@aol.com)

35. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 7, 2002

o.k. i meant TEACHER, ha ha!

36. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 9, 2002

OK! The time has come! I emailed the task analysis sheet to all who I had an email for and a sample sheet to go with it. If you didn't get the email, let me know and I'll send it to you. I will try to figure out to post it on a website so it will be easy for anyone to get, but that will be later this weekend. It will work for schools on 6 weeks schedules. I am going to make a 9 week one this weekend because we are on 9 weeks here. I'll get that out later to whoever wants it.

Lori

37. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 9, 2002

Thanks, Lori!!!!

38. KLaMonda

KLaMonda Rookie

Sep 3, 2003

I was just wondering, does everyone document progress for each goal/objective daily? Weekly? As it happens?

Last year, I decided I would document progress 10 times a grading period, which would be about 1x a week- it gave me a nice easy percentage to work with. I took the percentages from each grading period, averaged all 4 grading periods together, to come up with my grand total, which told me whether the goal was met for the year. (So if a student mastered the goal with 60% accuracy the first sem, 50 the second, 70 the third, and 80 the fourth, I'd average them together, which is 65%. If they were supposed to meet their goal with 60% accuracy, then they would have achieved the goal)
    However, like all teachers, I was looking to improve, and thought that maybe that wasn't accurate enough. If a student's goal is to wipe his nose when it's running, and he did it 3 times that week, but I only documented it once, then I'm not giving him enough credit for it.
    What do you guys think? Should I be checking daily for each goal?
    Thanks for any info, I hope that wasn't confusing!
    Kristin

39. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Sep 3, 2003

I document once a week, I'd think you'd stress yourself out with daily records. I use codes E=skill is emerging S=doing it sometimes or paritally C=consistantly preforming the skill M=demonstrating mastery. When I sit down to record information, I consider progress the whole week. I try not towrite goals with expectations of how many times a week I expect them to do something. I opt for goals with 75% accuracy or 75% of the time--The student will count 1-5 with one to one correspondance 75% of the time, when given pictures or objects. Hope this made sense.

40. AJK

Sep 3, 2003

I prefer goals that say __ out of __ trials (like 4 out of 5, which is 80%). Then I don't need percentages, If you are documenting weekly, and it is 5 trials then they must preform the task once a school day, that's more than realistic, most of your goals are things the kids are doing more than once a day anyway. Does that make sense?

41. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sep 22, 2003

Hi, I have tried to access this form through the website, and the link is broken. Could you email it to me? Thanks!
    alikellett@hotmail.com