IE to LA commute? (in California)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Okashi91, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Okashi91

Okashi91 Rookie

Apr 7, 2016

Hello everyone!

I am here looking for some advice. I am doing an alternative certification program in California, in Los Angeles, meaning I will be taking online classes while working as a teacher. I got hired at a school in South Los Angeles, which I am extremely happy about! However...my biggest worry is the commute.

I currently live with my parents east of Los Angeles, on the border of the OC and the Inland Empire. If I leave at 4:00 AM for work, it only takes 45 min-1 hour one way. If I leave anytime after that, it takes 1.5-2 hours. It's the same with driving back. I left my school site around 4:00 PM and I got home at 6:00 PM. If I leave around 8 PM from my work, it will only take me about 45 min-1 hour.

My parents are quite adamant about me commuting from home- they are thinking long-term and want me to save for a house down payment. However...a 1.5-4 hour commute round-trip (depending on traffic and when I leave) might drive me crazy.

As a first year teacher taking credentialing classes, should I move to the area where I will be teaching? For reference, the area I will be working in is an urban, high-need area, but a one-bedroom apartment looks like it will cost at least 1000-1400/month. My teaching position is offering a salary of 45K.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated! Thank you~

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 7, 2016

Will Metrolink get you to work?

4. Okashi91

Okashi91 Rookie

Apr 7, 2016

According to Google Maps, I could drive to the Pomona Metrolink station, then take the Riverside Line to Union Station, then take the Metro Red line to the Metro Expo Line, then bus. But it would take roughly the same amount of time (~2 hours).

5. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Apr 7, 2016

I'd look into moving, if only for your own sanity. You can make 45k work with $1,000/month if you don't have student loans, car payments, or other debt. You may find by living at home you're spending tons of money on gas and wear and tear on your car.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 7, 2016

I know exactly where the areas are that you're talking about. My parents would personally not want me to work that job (& I wouldn't do it either). I'd just wait & get a closer job, but that's just me.

Yeah, the Metrolink is too much trouble doing all those routes.

Well, try driving & see how it & the job goes. See if the drive is bearable and that you really like the job first. Then determine your next move. I highly doubt the long drive will be better than one anticipates it to be. Maybe you can become friends with a fellow teacher who lives in the same area & you two could take turns carpooling, but I know that's a long shot.

I live in S. CA too & take it from someone who's paying an astronomically high rent now that the sooner you can get to buying your own home, the better!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 7, 2016

Metrolink takes a while, but one can nap or grade papers or prep while traveling. (I have hideous motion sickness, but even I can read on a train.) That's tougher with the multiple connections, of course.

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2016

I would try to make my drive more enjoyable Listen to audio books , soothing music , comedy CD, etc..Do a study on how much an apartment would cost (a mental check too) figure how much gas you are using. I would stay at my parents just as long as I could especially if you have the collage loans hanging over your head. First year teachers need a support system and your parents will help you soooooooo much. Remember what may help you for now might hurt you in the long run.

9. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 9, 2016

The thing you need to consider is the effect it has on your quality of life.

1) When you get home, I'm presuming that you're beat. I know I would be, after teaching all day and driving 2-4 hours on the freeway. You get home, maybe eat a snack and/or dinner, and fall asleep = easy way to get out of shape.

2) Living at home, difficult for you to operate and be yourself. True, you get to save some money. But again, at what expense?

Ms. I likes this.
  10. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Apr 11, 2016

Congratulations on the job!!! I'm with Ms I on this - see how the job is before jumping into a lease. If you do decide to move closer to school - you should check out the neighborhood first - you don't need to be in the exact same area as your school - make sure you (and your parents) feel safe about where you end up. Similar question about safety if you stay at home while working - do you feel safe commuting after work? Driving exhausted is scary too. (I'm a worryer - can you tell?!) I live and work in l.a. - it is very expensive. Are you doing the intern program? Would you want to room with other teachers? just a thought. Even if you aren't all at the same school - (although if you are that might be nice) just throwing thoughts out. I love that your parents are thinking long term for you - a home really makes sense in an area where rents are growing at the rate they are here.

Ms. I likes this.