IDing gifted kinders

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MsSinNOLA, Oct 17, 2007.

1. MsSinNOLA

MsSinNOLA Rookie

Oct 17, 2007

I am trying to decide if I should put a particular student in for a gifted evaluation. I don't know what constitutes "gifted". Is there any guidelines for this? The student can read really well, is gifted with numbers and is an excellent problem solver. I find the student to be very advanced, and I don't want to put anyone through extra work (the student especially). Any guidance will be much appreciated.

3. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Oct 17, 2007

How well does the student write? This is where you can usually tell. If they are writing at a level that is on the second or third grade level, then I would ask. Sometimes, students are 'trained' to be able to do things like multiplication and addition and subtraction facts by a well intentioned parent. Good luck.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 17, 2007

READING ABILITY has very little to do with being classified as gifted. I would get hateful phone calls from parents as a gifted instructor because "my child is the best reader." Look at reasoning, math word problems, puzzles, things that require higher thinking order.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 17, 2007

It seems like there are many attributes that indicate the child may be Gifted. Remember too, it is the entire picture, which mostly revolves around problem solving strategies. That's a large portion of it when they test IQ and take different factors into consideration for the qualification.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2007

It's interesting that you identify students as gifted so young--here, it doesn't happen until much later. In January of grade 3 all of the students write a gifted "screening" test, administered to the classes by a Special Ed teacher. Those who score above a certain percentile (97th%) are referred to our educational psychologist for a more complete psych ed assessment. Formal identification as a gifted student happens near the end of grade 3 and programming (gifted programs) begins in grade 4.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 18, 2007

I would have a hard time pointing out a gifted student at that age simply because some students have a lot more help at home before they come to Kinder than others, but if you've been at this a while and you feel it in your gut, then go for it.

8. Mommateach

Mommateach Rookie

Oct 18, 2007

Here a couple of good websites with some informative articles
    Hoagies Gifted Education page
    Sengifted.org

9. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Nov 23, 2007

Our school uses the KBIT and they have to have a 131 IQ or higher.

It isn't based on reading, it is more puzzles, problem sovling and stuff like that.

Last year my Admin. told me that I had to have my K's assessed. I didn't want them to be, they are so young. They tested 5 and all 5 weren't gifted.

This year they are in First Grade and 3 were re-tested and 2 are gifted.

I really feel like it is a disservice to test Kindergarten students... they just need another year of schooling to be ready...

Kel :)

10. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Nov 23, 2007

We also use the KBIT.
    However, we do not evaluate for kindergarten giftedness. The students must be in the middle of first grade and we prefer second grade.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 24, 2007

The kid who reads early COULD be gifted, but could also just be well coached. The kid who makes a connection between ideas that just blows you away - "Where'd THAT come from??" - THAT'S the kid who's likelier really to be gifted. It isn't just more accomplishment: it really is different thinking, and thinking differently.

12. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 24, 2007

We went through an ugly situation this past year when parents insisted a just barely 4-year-old be admitted to Kinder. Our district refused on several levels, but she was tested and was considered "gifted" by virtue of an IQ test. (Not the term they use so much these days....) However, she was VERY immature in social distinctions, and that was deemed a tremendous problem.

Another student was being considered for skipping first grade and going to second. Again, the maturity level was what prevented that from happening. In both cases, these students were girls, and were highly drilled at home by well-meaning parents. The girl with the "high IQ" may possibly be truly gifted, but it is just too difficult to accommodate that in Pre-K and K. Our local GATE school does not admit students until second grade. I think that's soon enough!

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 24, 2007

We test in Pre-K so they can be identified before they begin Kinder and then they take 2 standardized tests in Kinder that are used to determine if they can be accepted.

The benefit to identifying them early is that you can differentiate your teaching to them during the foundation of their skills. I've had Kinders reading on 4th Grade level-- an activity where you glue macaroni on a picture of an "M" is just not going to benefit him academically.

I agree with TeacherGroupie - it's just another way of thinking. I had a student once ask me how they make bulletproof glass? Because it would have to be strong enough to deflect bullets, but also transparent. They always want to know the why, not just necessarily the how. Very good at seeing patterns in things, even stories.

I've seen many high-achievers who were accepted as G/T, but I don't believe they were actually gifted, just good at the academics part. It's really a tough call.

14. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Nov 24, 2007

But, do you really need an assessment to differentiate? I have kids that are reading WAY above grade level, but are really, truly not gifted, they are just good readers.

I don't need an assessment to tell me that they need enrichment.

I guess I just think that in my situation the parents are much more worried about the "label" of Gifted, and not really the enrichment part of the program...

Kelly :)