Ideas Wanted - Ice/Snow :)

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teachpreschool, Dec 18, 2009.

1. teachpreschool

teachpreschool Rookie

Dec 18, 2009

I am trying to do some planning ahead...looking into January, after winter break. I would like to do a unit on Snow/Ice. We have lots of snow, so I plan to put that in my sensory table. There are some different experiments that I would like to introduce and let the children do in the science/discovery area. There are a few snowflake crafts for the art center. I am going to do a snow scene PWIM to introduce vocabulary. I also plan to bring some small shovels, and colored water spray bottles for outdoor time.

What are some things that I could put in the block area, writing area, and dramatic play area that go along with ice/snow?

3. Teacher87

Teacher87 Rookie

Dec 18, 2009

I want to do a snow theme when we get back in January, too! Haven't really planned anything yet, but I'll definitely share any ideas I come up with :)

4. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Dec 18, 2009

penguins & polar bears in your block area. And cover some of the blocks with white paper so igloos can be built :) Maybe winter coats, hats & scarves in the dramatic play - could you make some "snowshoes" out of cardboard or something? Maybe plastic mugs for hot cocoa in your kitchen area. Could you make a sled as a class out of a cardboard box - to reinact the Iditarod? Have kids bring in stuffed dogs for the sled dogs. I got that instant snow last year at the teacher store and put it in my sensory area - which was fun to play in - and not cold on hands like real snow! :)

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 18, 2009

Have you ever painted with ice cubes? Very cool... and the kids are always AMAZED! (either add some food ocloring to ice cubes, or use regular ice cubes with a little powered tempra)

dramatic play... last year, I put in a variety of extra winter coats (check lost and found... i had several donated to me in case i had kids without), gloves, mittens, scarves, and earmuffs in my dramatic play area and let the kids put them on. You would've thought it was Christmas all over again, they absolutely LOVED it.

Writing area, I typically have given the winter word cards (snow, ice, cold, snowman, etc) and "stationary" (paper with a picture copied onto it, or paper shaped like snowman, etc) to let thme write on.

Blocks... can you cover blocks in white paper so they're building with "ice blocks?"

edit... heh, we posted at the same time :)

Another fun idea is let the kids "skate" by putting waxed paper under their shoes. You have to tell them to be CAREFUL or they will slip (maybe only do the paper on one foot), but they think it's great fun to do this in the gym or a tile-ish floor. I've also had them "walk like penguins" by trying ot keep a beanbag either between their knees or on top of their feet. It's HARD but I always hear so many giggles ;)

6. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Dec 18, 2009

For an art project or art center- mix shaving cream and glue. Have them finger paint the mixture on Blue or Black construction paper. When it dries it looks like puffy snow. You then could have them glue pictures of animals like penguins on the paper. I did this when I taught preschool and I use the same mixture to make clouds too in the Spring, after we read It looks like spilt milk.

7. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Dec 18, 2009

After reading Snowballs by Lois Ehlert, I put doilies and a wide variety of collage materials out for the children to make snowpeople and snowanimals.

I make "snowballs" from sections of pantyhose and fiberfill, and we have fun throwing our snowballs.

We freeze water on a cookie sheet for ice hockey. The nets are strawberry baskets, I paint all the lines before adding the water, the hockey sticks are made of 1-1/2 craft sticks taped together, and the pucks are buttons. After demonstrating how to play, the children (especially the boys) like this activity.

We also play pinecone hockey with hockey sticks made from newspaper and duct tape and nets from boxes.

8. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Dec 18, 2009

I just remembered that I made an ice fishing game that was a lot of fun! I used a kleenex box and covered it in foil - you could also cover it in white paper. Just to make it look like "ice". I cut little fish shapes out of paper and stuck a magnet on the back of each. Then I made ice fishing "rods" with yarn and a paper clip. The kids got to drop their fishing pole into the hole and catch a fish. We read a book about ice fishing before the activity. They LOVED it - it was a favorite for a long time! :) (might have to make another one now!)

9. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Dec 18, 2009

For the block area, get some white lunch bags and stuff them with newspaper. The kids can use these "ice blocks" to build with in the block area.

We have access to an ice machine where I work, so we can fill the sensory table up with ice cubes when we do a theme like this.

Give them styrofoam balls to make snowmen with for an art activity.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 18, 2009

I saw a Head Start teacher cover some floor area with heavy clear plastic. The kids used it to ice skate on. What fun!

11. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Dec 19, 2009

Gosh, i keep remembering things! We also "ice skated" on our floor using pieces of wax paper. I give them each two pieces and they stand on them and kinda shuffle their feet. It's slippery - but LOTS of fun. We bust it out every once in awhile just for something different - even when it's not winter time! :)

12. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Dec 30, 2009

we read five little penguin and then each child makes penguin to put on the b board . Then we act the story out many times. I work with a mixed age group and the little ones love it.