Ideas to work with autistic kids ages 10-11. THey are at lower learning levels

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Houry, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Houry

Houry Guest

Aug 1, 2003

I just got a my first teaching job at a Non public special education school. I am really excited to start but yet a little nervous. The kids I will be working with are autistic. They are all verbal but all of the are at different levels. I have a few questions.

1) Could you please give suggestions for first day and first week activities I could do? Not all the kids can write so I need something creative and upbeat.

2) How do I implement high expectations. Should I STILL go over my rules even if the kids dont fully understand? Would behavior contracts be appropriate for a few kids but not all?

3) What do the rest of my kids do while I work with small groups with a few?
    4) Any outide play social activities?
    5)Any activities for social skills?
    thanks a bunch for your help!
    Houry

3. heavangels2

heavangels2 Guest

Aug 15, 2003

you can help these children

I read your questions about working with auststic children:
    I want to let you know that if you put your mind to it you can acomplish many things with them. I am a college student in a certification program, and last semester I spent 50 hours in a auststic classroom. It was challenging, and there very few children who could talk. During the semester i was able to get one 8 yr old to talk, when other speach therapist, could not. HE is now learning his consant sounds, and i got him to start sounding out vowel sounds. Anything can hapen. You need to show these children love, and that you are there to help them.
    let them know that you believe that they can do the work, and they are bright children. These children are not dumb, they just have a communication and prossessing problem.
    I wish you all the best, but try getting aids in the room so the kids are always working wioth someone, and not just on their owm. I found that worked in the aba methos room i was in last semester at school.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sep 9, 2003

In response for Houry

Houry,

I work with Middle School aged autistic children for the past 2 1/2 years. You know that repetition is the key for these kids. I start my day with an overview of the calendar independently by making them fill out worksheets that are related to the days of the week. The non-verbal, don't understand the concept of first and last will just match the days of the week or the months of the year. I have them on laminated cards with the days of the week in many different colors and the months of the year the same way. This ensures that my non-verbal, non-academic, no pencil and paper students don't get left behind. I also make an assessment on how long it will take them to learn these tasks. Most of my students have a full hour to complete the worksheets. I will assist as necessary. I do grade students' work with numbers but if I do most of the work, or they have prompting they only recieve about 75. In the very beginning, I would assess who is capable of doing the work without assistance. I recommend a worksheet that deals with the sequence of the days of the week and months of the year. Math-the students who do not do pencil/paper work, they work on matching activities with one my staff members. I give a full hour for math activities. I also have an hour of vital stats- name, address, city, phone #, ect. (3 hours already!). I make sure that the students with severe behavior problems are given behavior contracts between you and them only! Make sure that you engage the students who are capable of working by themselves at ALL TIMES (including play time or free time). Do not let them idle or they will become very frustrated. Do encourage them to go to others, but watch them if they need to be watched.

2. Behavior Contracts only for students who have misbehavior that occurs frequently and can be collected through data.

3. Keep your students engaged in work activities or play activities.

4. During play activities, ask them simple things about their time.
    what are you doing? I like that........ What would you like to do next? ect. this is the best time to role play too.

5. Ex. of activities for social skills
    board games; rules, taking turns, no talking during the game if it doesn't pertain.
    Manipulative play: Lego bricks, ect. (hands on activities)

6. Read the rules, every day to the students even the ones who are verbal.

7. Do not let them stimulate (stem) unless they finish their work first.

Try to get other students to talk to them

good luck from CaliABBAfan I also have Asperger's Syndrome and I work with moderate-severe autistic students from grades 5th-8th.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sep 20, 2003

Found the last post interesting. we have six austistic kids in our elementary school, plus 40+ other special needs kids, so we are stretched to the max. It sounds like many autistic are in a special needs classroom for most of the day. Our school district is very strong on inclusion. One of our more severe students was homeschooled until about grade 3, was in "behavioral" program for most of grade 4 and now comes to us with NO academic skills. Some of our local experts are pushing hard for this student to be "mainstreamed" all day long.
    Since he has never had any formal academic instruction, shouldn't we be looking at some kind of academic goals? ( tests at pre primer to primer level or lower in academics, but seems to have ability to elarn based upon this first month of school). We began him with lots of pull out, using visual cues, lots of sensory motor activities in between short academic periods. Now some members of the team want him to be fully integrated into regular education classroom. The classes are very large this year due to budget cutbacks ( 40 to 45 kids per class)so there is little space in the classroom, and little time for teacher to make significant accomodations. I do not see doing at alternative activity in the hallway with an aide as being mainstreamed. If they are going to do that, send him back to the resource room where he has his own place to sit and keep his materials. The OT has furnished us with many materials, and ideas for calming and redirection, but if he is going to be on the other side of the school, he will not have access to these very often. We are having some success with integrating him into computer, art, and P.E. classes, lunch and supervised recesses with an extra aide or teacher with him at all times. His impulsive outbursts can be disturbing to the regualr classroom. It is the academic areas that the staff do not yet see as being suitable for inclusion. ( we do have other , less severe, autistic students integrated fairly well)How do you handle the balancing act of pullout/integration with a student this severe? we do not have any real "experts" in our area, being a semi rural area. God bless the internet, it is a life saver of ideas.