ideas to fill reading block?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cocacola, May 17, 2012.

1. cocacola

cocacola Rookie

May 17, 2012

Down to the final weeks of school and my reading curriculum is finished. Any suggestions or ideas of what to do during my 90 minute reading block? I am trying to keep our school day as normal as possible to deter from antics. I am open to fun suggestions too. I usually read books the kids enjoy and try to do some art activity or game that relates. Suggestions for books to read are also appreciated.

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 17, 2012

We've been focusing on identifying the character, setting, problem, and solution and/or retelling the story in order (beginning, middle, end). I read a book and we discuss it, then they read their own books back to back with a partner and then discuss the books they read with their partner.

Another idea is to pull out any favorite books/classics that don't fit into the curriculum. Some that we use are Corduroy (can be bring your stuffed animal/bear to school day), There Was An Old Lady Who Swalloed A Fly, Napping House, Dr. Seuss books, or Clifford.

I also like to read The Important Book and then they can do their own Important Book about themselves or kindergarten, especially if they do a page for each month of school.

They can do a book for next year's class that tells all about kindergarten - the rules, fun things you do, what you learn, etc...