Ideas to add to this classroom theme...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by S Dubb, Jul 29, 2007.

1. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

I'm going to be a second grade teacher this year, and this will also be my first year teaching. I'm very excited and very nervous at the same time.

While I haven't even seen my classroom yet, I have been thinking of themes that I might like to do. I came across an idea somewhere (I think even here) for "Second Grade Rocks!" I really like music so it fits for me, and I think I can relate a lot of things to my kids through music as well.

Anyway, I need ideas for things to go with this theme. So far I was thinking about writing each child's name on a blank CD and have that be their name tags (attached to the front of their desks so they don't get distracted by the shinyness of it all ;) ) I also want to do something where I pass back all of their weekly work and have them select the one that they are most proud of to hang on a bulletin board in the room. I was thinking of calling this "Number 1 Hits."

Unfortunately this is all I have so far. Does anyone else have any ideas to go along with a music-themed second grade classroom?

3. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

You could do something with Top 10. (Maybe let the kids vote on favorite books and make a Top 10 list for recommendations.)

Class Helper could be the DJ or announcer (?)

Maybe a brag board could be called Hitting the High Notes since it would show high grades.

You could do a genre study and somehow link types of music to types of literature.

Other titles and visuals could include:
    The Hits Just Keep on Coming
    America's Top 40 (Instead of songs change it to Top 50 and make it a bulletin board of the 50 states)
    Climbing the Charts could be a board for showing progress like AR or learning multiplication facts.
    Recording Artist of the Week could be a Student of the Week display.
    Play List could have spelling words, schedule or homework.

I don't know if this helps or if it's even grade level appropriate but I like thinking about somebody else's stuff for a change.

4. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Jul 29, 2007

Our school always has a schoolwide Reading Renaissance (AR) theme. Our theme this year is "Readers Rock" So I have been brainstorming this theme all summer! I have purchased old 45 records and plan to write each child's name on one to post outside my classroom... I will display their work under their record. I even thought I might put a photo of each child in the hole in their record.
    I also have made a huge "guitar" out of paper to hang somewhere, and my daughter made a "hard rock cafe" sign for me..... Instead of the name of the city it says my school name.

5. latybug

latybug Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

These are great ideas. IMO they are grade appropriate.
    Here are a few more:
    Look for 50's bulletin board things at MG Novelty or Paper Warehouse. This will go along with the Top 50 theme.
    Black and White checked contact paper or material for background on bulletin boards.
    List centers as Writing Rocks, Reading Rocks, etc.
    Could have students make a pet rock and have them write a story about it. Then you could sort and graph them.
    Use CD holders to organize your things around the room.
    The title to your schedule could be Rock Around the Clock.
    Throw in some Elvis things and you have the King of reading, math facts:cool: ,etc.

6. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

7. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

These are wonderful ideas and I am definitely going to see if I can use them. Thanks so much for that link, lissa. That site looks amazing and I'm going to look at it in depth when I have more time.

8. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

You are very welcome! I have used this site alot- and am doing the sports theme that she had in the previous year. Good Luck!

9. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

love your ideas so far.

Maybe photocopy some sheet music and make a bulletin board background from it.

Use a drumstick as a pointer

an attention getter could be some sort of percussion instrument (a triangle, maybe)

Maybe your alphabet above the board could be made on a keyboard/background style.

10. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

I'm drooling at these percussion ideas (I'm a drummer). :2up:

11. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I bought a disco ball at Pier One.... in the kids department today for half price.... $10.00

12. clr2785

clr2785 Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

that woman's classroom is amazing!!!!
    ok, i'm officially inspired...