Ideas/Tips for meeting Parents/Students

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MissTeach22, Jul 28, 2009.

1. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jul 28, 2009

Hi! I am a brand new teacher, so this is my first year (as some of you already know! :)). I have two open house days before the 1st day of school so that the children and their parents can meet me and see their classroom. I am planning to send a letter home introducing myself, etc. prior to open house. During the open house I am planning to introduce myself, show children the classroom (where they will be sitting, where their cubby is, etc.). I am also planning on taking a picture of each child with their parent(s)/guardian to hang up in our room, as well as a picture of the student to use to put by their cubby, mailbox, etc. I also have planned a simple activity to parents to do with their child for us to use on a bulletin board. This is for a private school so parents are extremely involved! Besides these ideas is there anything else I should be doing? Or any tips/ideas you may have? Should I have toys/crayons and paper out for the children while I am talking to the parents? I appreciate any and all suggestions! Thanks so much! :D

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

Don't let them see you sweat.
    Don't doubt yourself.
    If a parent makes a "suggestion" say thank you - you will consider it. Don't let them politely bully you into things you don't want to do.
    Greet them every time they come in the door with a smile and a hello.
    Show interest in them. Show you care by asking questions or remembering what they said previously.
    Tell them good things their kids did more than problems.
    Communicate with parents often.
    Develop a relationship with the children - if they like you and you like them, parents will like you.
    Enjoy their children - it will show.

4. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

Do not fill up your centers with too many toys. While it may look empty to parents, you can explain that you will add items as the class becomes accustomed to proper use and clean up.

I found out the hard way that if you put too much out, the room quickly becomes a total mess. Also, some parents bring younger siblings who put everything in their mouths.

I also like to put out playdough for the children to use while I talk. Have fun, you sound like you will be a great teacher.

5. paige407

paige407 Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

Sounds like you have wonderful ideas already and that both the parents and kids will be busy. I will just tell you one thing that I do that all seem to enjoy. we have a scavenger hunt. I give each child a piece of paper with 9 pictures on it (e.g. computer, class pet, blocks, restroom). They walk around the room with their parent and circle the picture when they find the area. It helps the kids become a little more familiar with the room. At the end, they bring me their paper and I have a little gift for them from me (usually just something a picked up from the dollar store or similar).

Have a great year!

6. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

I love the scavenger hunt idea! I am going to use that idea this year :love:

7. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jul 29, 2009

These are all wonderful ideas! Thank you all so much! :) I really like the idea of the scavenger hunt...and then tie in the playdoh idea as using that as my gift!

As far as not putting everything out, I was also told that by a vetran Preschool teacher to put things out gradually...great teachers/minds must think alike! :)

8. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

I have never done the add things in gradually, but we do not play in our play centers often. BUT....... I think I will try this and see if the whole experience is more positive.

9. txgirl

txgirl Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

one tip I can offer if you have the time and resources is from time to time email parents photos of their children doing something fun (painting, climbing, dancing) during the day. My child's teachers did that for me and it was the best thing ever. At the end of each semester they offered to put all of this photos on a flash drive or CD for me. It was great to see what he was up to and that he was happy. I bet I got a picture at least once a month. If you have the time it will make a great impression on parents -

10. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 1, 2009

I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this idea!!! I take a million pictures of my students and I am always looking for a quick, easy way to get them to the parents. I always say that I am going to print them out and send them home in backpacks, but I never seem to have the time to sit at Target with my camera and print out all the pictures! I am DEFINITELY going to implement email for this next year, thanks so much!!

11. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 1, 2009

Before Open House I make a nametag for each child. I take large pieces of foam and cut them into squares about 4x4 inches. I punch holes in them and put a piece of yarn through, and write the names in Sharpie. Then when the kids come in I give them their name tags and put a ton of little stickers on the tables. While I talk to the parents, the kids get to decorate their name tags. Then they take them home and wear them to school the first day just in case I haven't gotten everyone's names yet. Stickers always keep their interest for a while, and I get most of the parents' attention.

12. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Aug 1, 2009

TeacherGrl7,
    I LOVE this idea! I am going to steal it. Thanks!

13. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 1, 2009

I LOVE this idea.

14. forkids

forkids Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

Another way to make namtags that last is to use the vinyl pocket folders. Cut them up to make the nametags - works just like the foam sheets. They are practically indestructable - wish they were un-lose-able too!