Ideas, please! :)

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by emmyblemmy, Mar 3, 2008.

1. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Mar 3, 2008

Ideas, please! :)

We are working on a persuasive writing unit in our room right now, and I thought it would be fun to close up the unit with a persuasive speaking activity, i.e. a debate. I've done this activity with an easy-to-follow format once before, but would like some fresh ideas!

I am looking for a few good age-appropriate ideas that the kids could debate! The last time I did this, the students debated an endangered species (whether or not to protect, etc). I've thought about debating for/against having school uniforms (which we wear). Anyone have any good ideas I might be able to use for this age group?

:thanks:

3. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Mar 5, 2008

That sounds like a fun activity! What about something to do with recess or art/gym?

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 5, 2008

I did this with my second grade class with a social studies unit on government. The class brainstormed changes they would like to see in our school such as longer recess, sitting where ever you want in the lunchroom, no homework, listening to music during the day. I divided the class into 4 groups and each group had to come up with reasons for their particular change. I then invited the principal into the room and each group read their ideas to the principal. He loved it! He took all of the letters and returned to the room 2 days later giving his response to each change. (needless to say thumbs down to all) but the kids loved it. I also feel he was impressed with the lesson. I have a new principal this year and am thinking of doing this for my observation.

5. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Mar 9, 2008

Thanks for the input, guys! :)