Ideas needed for website address

Discussion in 'General Education' started by katenar, Jan 16, 2011.

1. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jan 16, 2011

Hello everyone! I'm currently in the process of purchasing a new website address to soon replace my old one (which is currently down at the moment).

My old one was with my old last name. Some of you may know of it - it was www.msjensenclass.com. Well I got married in October and have officially changed over my name. I'm trying to think of a new address that will become my permanent home. New last name is Lyon (pronounced like the animal).

Ideas I have:

lyonlearningden.com
    mrslyonclassroom.com

Anymore ideas? Thank you! :thumb:

3. Mark94544

Mark94544 Companion

Jan 16, 2011

Always try for the SIMPLEST and shortest domain name that you think will work for your "target audience" (here, I assume that's your students and their parents).

So, why not "MrsLyon.com" ? It seems to be available. One concern: when I look at this name without capitalization, I see "mrslyon" as "Mr. Slyon" (sexist me!).

One concern with many names is that folks may unconsciously add an "s" at the end of Lyon, especially if the context suggests a possessive form:

lyonlearningden.com - lyonslearningden.com
    mrslyonclassroom.com - mrslyonsclassroom.com

Since capitalization doesn't matter for domain names, you might find it helpful to use capitalization:

LyonLearningDen.com
    MrsLyonClassroom.com

I've registered at least 250 different domains over the past 15 years (for myself and consulting clients), including my own name (MarkWelch.com, MarkWelchBlog.com). When I taught high-school English, I registered both WelchEnglish.com and Welch-English.com (the hyphen is a very tricky thing in domain names). My newest web site, a directory of lesson-plan resources, is called LessonIndex.com, because I thought that was the best "fit."

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jan 16, 2011

I agree with Mark. I like short and I also like the suggestion to go with the possessive because that's what people will remember. Also you really need to keep your old domain so you can redirect it to the new one. If you let it go someone will snatch it up and put search terms on it or worse.

5. Mark94544

Mark94544 Companion

Jan 16, 2011

FYI, when you create your web site, identify your school & city prominently, so students or parents searching for a different teacher (Ms, Mrs, Lyon, Lyons) will be less likely to contact you (or do the wrong homework!).

(Every year, I get several emails addressed to me [at MarkWelch.com] from people who expect "Mark Welch" to DJ at their wedding. Each time I must politely reply that they've sent their email to "the wrong Mark Welch," with a copy to the real DJ [at MarkWelchEntertainment.com].)

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2011

Mark great suggestions! I also agree with keeping your old domain name to redirect to your new website.

7. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jan 16, 2011

mrslyonspride.com

mrslyonsden.com

8. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 16, 2011

thelyonsden.org

9. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jan 18, 2011

Thanks for the input everyone! I definitely plan on keeping my original domain name and just having it forward to the new one. I think I may just go simple and do MrsLyon.com.

Thanks again!!

10. CallMeCoach

CallMeCoach Rookie

Jan 18, 2011

How about:

wwwlyonslearninglabcom??

The consistent consonant (L) will make it easy to remember and be unique.

?

11. David Brown

David Brown Rookie

Jan 18, 2011

lyonlearningden.com is good or the suggestion mrslyonspride.com

Lyon is a great name to play around with (Lion's den, Lion's Pride)
    how about mrslyonscubs.com