Ideas needed for vocabulary!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ali, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Ali

Ali Companion

Jan 27, 2006

I am about to start a new literature unit and am looking for a better way to do vocabulary. I have chosen words from the novel that I think the students will be able to use in their writing. I am tired of the write the word-look it up-use it in a sentence-and pretty much forget it-routine. I would be grateful for any tips or suggestions! Thanks!

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 27, 2006

Is this a small group? Do they get their own books to read? I have a bookmark template that I've started to use with my literature units. The kids love it. They write down vocabulary words on a certain section and define them in their own words. We've also used the same thing to do multi-lingual books. They use the bookmark through the entire book and add to it when they need to. There is also a place on the bookmark to draw a picture when they are through with the book, to help them remember what the book was about.

You could give each student a different word, have them define it, and illustrate it all on one piece of paper. Then hang these around the room for the students to see all the time. I did something simular with winter words and the students use those words all the time in their writing. They really get into it.

I remember doing a book report in 5th grade by making a new cover for a book. We put a glossary on the inside flap. It was so much fun.

4. bobniborg

bobniborg Rookie

Jan 27, 2006

I make a sheet with four columns. Word, Definition, synonym, picture.

They write the word, spaced as syllables. Then we define them together, then they do their own synonym (Im loose here, as long as it is something in their own words that means something similar, it can be 3 words, etc). Then they draw a picture.

5. newteacher16

newteacher16 Companion

Jan 27, 2006

I've done the same thing for a book my kids just read. They each made a dictionary sheet including the word, its definition, a sentence using the word, and a picture that shows its meaning. We're going to bind them together into a class book and keep it on the shelf so that the kids can look at it whenever they are interested.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 28, 2006

You could have them make cards with vocab words, other cards with definitions, then let them play Concentration (matching).

7. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Jan 28, 2006

Miss W,

Using bookmarks for vocabulary sounds like a great idea. I will have to give it a try in my fourth grade class.

8. ILteacher

ILteacher New Member

Jan 29, 2006

i have...who has?

I learned this game while observing in a fourth grade classroom. Have the students write the word, definition and draw a picture on a piece of paper and hang the paper up in the room. When the pictures are up, the kids will see them all the time, and hopefully remember them! Then take index cards and write "I have (vocab word) on one side and "Who has (definition of another vocab word)?" on the other. One student stands up and reads the first "Who has...?" and then the student with the word stands up and reads "I have..." and then the other side of their card. This continues around the classroom until all of the cards have been used! The classroom I was in kept the cards throughout the year and would play the game to get them geared up for writing or during transition times or just for fun! They keep adding cards all year long!

9. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Jan 30, 2006

I do a game called "Swat it!" All you need is an overhead projector, a screen and two fly swatters. (Although now that I think about it, you could just use the chalkboard).
    If I have 12 words, I draw a table with 12 large boxes on the overhead. (Looks kinda like a Bingo game board without the letters at the top.) I write one word in each box. I make sure that I've explained the meanings and pronunciations first. I usually just do this orally. Students know they must pay attention during the explanation of the words if they are going to be able to get points in the game.

Now for the game:
    Divide class into two teams. One player from each team comes to the front of the room, grabs a fly swatter and stands in front of the screen where the table of words is displayed. Teacher gives a clue and the first person to "Swat" the correct word on the screen earns a point for their team. Players rotate until all on team have gone at least once. Team with most points at end wins.

Rules to remember:
    If two people swat the same word at the same time, the point goes to the swatter that is on the bottom (got there first).
    Teacher needs to have plenty of clues ready before the game. I use clues like...
    This word means ____
    This word is a synonym for _____
    This word is an antonym for __________
    This word has __ syllables
    This word is a (noun, verb, adjective, adverb)
    This word would complete the following sentence...

The kids love this game and it is a more active, out-of-your-seat way to learn and review words.