Ideas needed for Principal Observation

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Maithal, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Feb 7, 2007

Hi Everyone!
    Hope you all are doing well. I'm being observed next Wednesday (Valentine's Day) by my principal. I'm wondering what you suggest doing for a Valentine's lesson either on literacy or math?

Here's one idea I had. Using conversation candy hearts the students graph by color each heart. However, I'm thinking this is mostly the kindergarteners doing the work themselves and not showing me actually teaching.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I figure since it's V Day I should base the lesson on Valentines day.

Another thought was read a Valentine's story where I'd include predicting, questioning, good comprehension strategies while I read. Then they go back to their seats and write who they love and why. However, this group has much difficulty with writing as everyone is at different levels. I could make a list and have them then use the list to help them write who they love and why.

I also copied pages online to make a book where students color hearts(they read underneath a few lines) and color hearts according to what book says to color it. However, I feel it's too basic and not much teaching will be going on.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. Bring them my way! :) :)

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2007

Maithal,

What specific skills in reading are you up to in class right now? I think you should " go with the flow" in terms of sticking to where you are... if you tell us maybe we can offer some suggestions...

I always like doing literacy observations with classes.... reading, writing, listening and speaking. You can't go wrong there.

You can use a Valentine story, but you don't have to... as you already know. In fact, I would try not to, but that is just me. I tend to get bored by the same old Valentine's day stuff:rolleyes:

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2007

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 7, 2007

Have they started learning subtration or addition yet?

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 7, 2007

Why not ask them to write down the words on the conversion hearts (make sure they are okay first) and then put a mark every time they see the phrase again. Then read them aloud and graph it. You would have to model it, show them how to write and tally it (well not official tally yet). You would be walking them through several complex steps. In the process they are practicing word similarities and differences recognition, writing, and math. My only concern is if they can do this and if you can do it all in the time your P is there. Learning to follow directions IS teaching.

Also teach them strategies. How many words does that heart have? Is the phrase on your paper the same number of words? What is the first word? Does it match your word? Have you looked at all of your phrases before writing a new phrase (kinder language of course)?

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2007

My concern would be the sugar-- are you sure none of your kids are diabetic or hypoglycemic?

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 7, 2007

That is a neat idea (I think I might use it with my little kids). But if I was Mathial I wouldn't try it, while the principal was observing me. She just started teaching this class a few weeks ago. That is rather complicated.
    I would do something a little more structured. But that is just me.

9. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Feb 8, 2007

I'm leaning towards doing an activity where I read a Valentine's book and they write who they love. However, I'm not sure if that is a good lesson to have the principal observe. I'm wondering if there is something else more "eye catching" as I feel this may be a bit boring.

We have been working on questioning strategies when we read and rhyming. Hope this helps.

Any other ideas?

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2007

The principal is coming to observe how you teach every day, not to see you put on a show. I think that it's really important while being observed to do something you and your students are comfortable with. What would you normally be doing during the time the principal is in? I would keep it simple.

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2007

Exactly!!:angel:

12. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Feb 8, 2007

Here's What I Did...

Hi there,

Last year, my principal also observed me on Valentine's Day and I did a lesson where my kids were rotating through 4 stations. The stations were:

*Using red, white, pink, and purple pony beads and leather cord to create a bracelet with a pattern (whichever type you've covered so far: 'AB', 'ABB', 'AABB', etc.)

*Using conversation hearts to create a real graph (by color or saying, depending upon the ability level of the student). You could extend this by having the kids fill out a results sheet (Which color had the most? Which color had the least? Were any colors equal?).

*Making parent Valentines. For mine, they had to copy a sentence from a model and the focus was handwriting.

*Making a "love tree" using a pattern of a bare tree that they then color and add "love blossoms" to using candy hearts or red-hot hearts. They then had to write a sentence about their tree and/or who they love, etc. using phonetic spelling and sight words.

With these four activities you cover a variety of math and language arts standards, while doing things the kids will love. They were thrilled to be able to wear their bracelets and to have their graphs on display. As far as the independent work, I think that is actually a good thing for your principal to observe - I mean, isn't some independence one of the goals of K? Plus, trust me, you stay plenty busy/engaged floating between stations and helping those who need it. It shows off a little one-on-one teaching/differentiation. To help cut down on everyone swarming me for questions, I designate one student at each table the "team leader" (usually a stronger student, but not always) and tell the students they have to ask their team leader a question before asking me. It really does help.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions about the specifics, don't hesitate to ask!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  13. CBean

CBean Rookie

Feb 8, 2007

I agree with the posters who said that the principal is coming to see how you teach everyday. You say you'll base the lesson on V-day??? I'm not trying not trying to quote you out of context, but your principal is probably not coming to see how you teach based on V-day, but rather on how you teach based on the - dare I say it-- standards.

Maybe you can take some pressure off of yourself by remembering that it doesn't have to be based on hearts and red and pink and cuteness, but just choose what you would normally be covering and stick with that. Then do the fun v-day stuff after the observation if your normal lesson doesn't lend itself to something cute and heart shaped.