Ideas for welcoming new teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by forkids, Aug 9, 2012.

1. forkids

forkids Cohort

Aug 9, 2012

We will have 13 new teachers at our school this year! I would like to do something to welcome them all, but have very little money to spend right now. Does anyone have ideas for something I can purchase or do? Thanks

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

How about a note in each of their mailboxes, with an insider's guide to your school/

You could include things like where the faculty restrooms are, what's good in the cafteria, things to expect the first two weeks, info about temperature of the school, and an open invitation to ask you whatever they need to know.

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 9, 2012

Our district has an official welcome day - meetings and lunch. However, when I have someone new in my area, I try to stop in and introduce myself and just see if they have any questions.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 9, 2012

I really like Alice's ideas. I befriended a veteran teacher at my old school and she told me all the things I needed to know-like temperature! Our rooms were so hot and then so cold and then hot again :lol: It was good to know!

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

I had a nice note from a teacher (who I subbed for). I thought that was very nice. My mentor teacher got me a little notepad and something else. It was nice to feel welcomed even by the teachers who worked in the upper elem.

7. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

I love the notes about the cafeteria food idea. My neighbor teacher last year made sure to come in every day before lunch and tell me whether I wanted to eat in the cafeteria that day or not. Is there any way you could get an early copy of the lunch menu and annotate it (nicely, don't want to offend anyone)?

I think a handwritten note on nice paper goes a really long way.

8. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 9, 2012

We give our new teachers bags with all different supplies that they may need for the beginning of the school year. We don't need to spend any extra money, since the supplies are already in the building, and the teachers appreciate it since they don't usually know what to request. (This is for a high school, where all of our supplies are ordered centrally by the main office. Not sure how it works at other levels.)

9. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 9, 2012

13 new teachers? Wow!

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2012

We aren't supposed to use open mugs, but I give one to new teachers with some post its, a pretty purple pen (school color), a granola bar, etc. I always seem to have extra mugs and they're great for pencils.

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

13 new teachers is a lot! I do like Alice's idea, it's really sweet.

You could also try to swing by and give them a hand with setting up their classroom.

12. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 10, 2012

On my first day my neighbor teacher gave me one of the expandable file folders with a page glued to the front. The paper had a large sunshine on it with a poem about putting everything students give you in this folder and when you are having a bad day pull it out and look back to how you really are a great, loved teacher.

I still use mine and when we have new teachers I give them one. I was truly touched by the gesture.

If you're interested I will tell you what the poem is exactly when I get to the school. Just let me know. ;)