Ideas for "Treasure Boxes"

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by laf, Jul 6, 2007.

1. laf

laf Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

I work in a behavior intervention program (self-contained classroom of 5 boys, 5th-6th graders) and need some help. The program includes a point/reward system - after X number of points and 'dollars' earned, a student chooses a reward from a treasure box.

These boys started the program in 3rd grade, but apparently the rewards have not grown with them and I am looking for new items. One thing I have come up with is graphic novels but I know NOTHING about them and want to make sure whatever I buy is age-appropriate. Any suggestions re titles or a place to look on the web?

Any other ideas re 'treasures?' I was thinking about homework passes and food, but after that I am stymied.

Thanks much
    Liz

3. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 6, 2007

Find out if there is something that they would like to collect! My kids work harder if there is something ongoing that they want to get.

After the first store, I always ask my kids the kinds of things they would like to see in it.

4. teacherbuck

teacherbuck New Member

Jul 6, 2007

I am no longer using a "treasure box" because I found it too time consuming. I am sad about it because I found it to be a good motivator for ALL students. Some of my students' favorite items were coupons for sitting in the teachers chair for a half day, sitting in the bean bag for a half day, homework coupons, and a Dairy Queen token for a free ice cream treat. I went to our local Dairy Queen and struck up a deal with the manager (if I bought ten I got two free). The kids loved this and many would save up their super stars to treat the entire family to Dairy Queen. Also, I had certificates for free movie rentals or a pass into the local theatre. Again, I went to talk to the managers and they came up with a deal for me. Each of these were of course worth different amounts of super stars and the students had to decide how to spend or save each week. This was a great lesson on how to use money. Hope this helped.

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 6, 2007

A high school student last year collected the mini cars (like Hot Wheels) I bought some mini cars at the Dollar Store (I found five in a package for a dollar ---I opened the package and had a special prize that only cost me twenty cents)

Gum Balls from the bubble gum machine.

Big kids still love stickers.

6. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 6, 2007

Sounds like we have similar positions! I agree with the typical stuff--piece of candy, cars, cards, coupons for various things around the classroom (sitting in the teacher's chair is always a big one), deciding if they want to go inside or outside for a break. Definitely asking them will probably be your best bet though. That way they feel like they had some sort of input.

7. laf

laf Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

Thanks so much for all the suggestions; I have made a list. And I cannot believe I didn't think of sitting in the teacher's chair! I am going to hit both the movie theatre and DQ for possible freebies - even if I pay for a block first.

And I will definitely get the boys' input....

Thanks again,
    liz

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 6, 2007

The Wendy's kid's meal has an audio book as the prize this summer.

9. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Jul 6, 2007

The boys in my classroom like to collect cars, spiderman stuff, and their favorite is baseball cards. I also put coupons in such as free homework pass, line leader etc. My students are a little younger than yours, but those are just some ideas.

10. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Jul 6, 2007

Don't know if you're familiar with it but "Tough Kids Toolbox" has a reinforcement list that you can give to the students. This is an easy way to see what each child likes. If you're not familiar with the book, I highly recommend it. (Especially working with EBD kids)

11. kalielise7

kalielise7 Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I taught 5th and 6th graders this year and here are a few of the big hits in my prize box that I mainly got from the dollar store:

--Gel Pens...they were OBSESSED with these!!
    --"Squishies" as the students called them...aka...pencil grippers
    --Those pretzel with cheese packs (you can get 5 for a buck)
    --Foohy brand merchandise was popular...like the monkey head erasers
    --fruit snacks
    --braided bracelets (like you find in a party favor section)
    --pencils (Spiderman, race cars, High School Musical, ...)

12. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 11, 2007

Blockbuster, Sonic, Hollywood video, Wendys, Dairy Queen and others usually have reward programs already set up for student rewards. Also try McDonalds.

Maybe glowsticks. Target had the bracelets 15 for $1 and they may now be 75% off if they were considered part of the 4th of July merchadise. I know Dollar Tree has them 6 for $1.

13. laf

laf Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Thanks everyone - such great ideas. I love having a bunch of different items for the boys to choose from (or new ones to surprise them with). And I did go ahead and order 'Tough Kids Toolbox' (it had been sitting on a 'wish list,' but I decided to reward myself since I was rewarding all the students!).

14. SweetGaPeach

SweetGaPeach Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Check out oriental trading also for some ideas. I just ordered some items--funny head erasers 104 erasers for $3.95 I also ordered girly notepads/pencils, sports notepads/pencils

15. kim

kim Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

treasure box

I use a treasure box in my room for middle school aged students. I buy from thr dollar store quite frequently. The boys seems to like food itmes best, such as candy. Girls like mirrors, novely pens and pencils, and picture frames. The students also like free time to work on the computer or play games.

Ask your students what they like. It may make your purchasing easier.