Ideas for teaching the 5 senses

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by DrivingPigeon, Jan 20, 2010.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 20, 2010

We have a new benchmark this year: Students will investigate the five senses and their functions. (Isn't that oddly worded? How do you assess "investigation?")

Anyway, next week my team is meeting to share teaching ideas. So far I have come up with:
    Using sense of touch
    • Feely bags: Children have to guess what is in a bag by using their sense of touch. Gather objects and put them into paper bags. Have children feel the object, and then open the bags to reveal their contents. How accurate is the sense of touch as shown through this experiment?
    • Feeling different shapes and describing/naming them
    • Pass out sandpaper/texture letters and have students guess which letter they are holding

Using sense of taste
    • Blindfolded taste test
    • Make a collage from magazines of foods they like to eat

Using sense of hearing
    • Children will have 10 plastic eggs. Five eggs will have different items inside and the other five eggs will contain matching items. Children will have to shake one egg at a time to try to find its exact sound match.
    • Blindfold a student, have another student talk, and have the blindfolded student guess who is talking.

Using sense of smell
    • Label 5 jars (1-5) with distinctly different smells inside. Children will sniff the top of the jar and try to guess what is inside.

Using sense of sight
    • Put objects on a tray, and take all or some objects away. Have children name the missing object(s).
    • Describe a picture/scene by sight

Does anyone have any other fun ideas? Do you know of any good books? I have some 5 senses books, but I'm looking for other ways to integrate literacy besides books called "Your 5 Senses." For example, I found the book "What Would You Do With a Tail Like This?" to discuss ways animals use their senses.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 20, 2010

We went on a texture scavenger hunt. You can make posters out of them and have the objects labeled. We also put objects inside large thick tube socks and then compare it to something they see inside a basket (for same/different) type idea.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 20, 2010

We went around the school and students each took a picture of something of their choice-then we sorted the pics into the 5 categories. I told them to really think about more than just what we can see-they loved it.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2010

I teach this unit in December and integrate into Christmas. We put together a "Five Senses Of Christmas" book.
    The book each had a page that highlighted a sense. Could you do a book like this? You could do a "Five Senses Of Winter" book.
    Winter looks white (they could cut out pictures of white things and glue onto the page). Winter feels like soft warm mittens (glue cotton balls onto a pic of a mitten). Winter tastes like hot chocolate (the could attach a bag of instant hot cocoa on the page and enjoy it after they read the book to someone). Winter smells like hot apple cider with cinnamon(glue cinnamon sticks onto the page). Winter sounds like ??? (drawing a blank on that one right now. ) We add jingle bells because it sounds like Rudolph's bell. Maybe you could say it sounds like Reindeer bells and add a little jingle bell to a pic of a reindeer.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 20, 2010

Fun ideas so far! Thanks!!!

7. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Jan 21, 2010

Can you pop popcorn in your room? That is the one thing that they can use all five senses. Back in the "good old days" we would sit on the floor-with the kids around but at a safe distance. Put newspaper under the popper-do they even make that kind anymore? We would pop some with the lid off and the kids loved it. Of course we wouldn't eat that batch, but would pop another batch with the lid on and eat that.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 21, 2010

That's a fun idea! We have a big popcorn popping machine on a cart that we can check out for our classrooms.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2010

Trey's mom... we did that in one of my college classes.

We just sat for a minute or 2 & listened to things in the school. It is amazing what some kids hear. It would be fun to go to different parts of the school like the gym.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

Check out your local library. I seem to remember a book and a tape (CD) about sounds.

11. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Jan 21, 2010

We make a class book (I see with my______. I see... ). The children work in small groups to write and illustrate the book.

We make a mint chocolate chip ice cream cone- mix equal parts shaving cream and glue. Add green food coloring and mint extract.
    Children cut out cone shape from brown construction paper and glue onto white paper. Dollop a spoonful of mixture, spread it out and sprinkle it with hole-punched black dots of paper. It smells like mint ice scream!

We match smells (cotton balls dipped in vanilla extract, lemon extract, and mint extract)

We "read" braille to see how people without their sight read.

We do an experiment to see how sound works. We put a piece of wax paper onto a radio speaker and tape it. We sprinkle salt onto the wax paper then turn on the radio. It makes the salt jump. The louder the radio, the higher it jumps. This explains vibrations!

We do a listening match- fill film canisters with bells, sand, paper clips (2 of each). The children shake it and find its match.

Fill one bowl with salt, the other sugar. Children use senses to tell similarities and differences (and try to guess what they are).

We also use a feely box, play the listening game above (someone sits in a chair, another comes up behind them and says "good morning" and the child in the chair guesses who said it), and a sight game with 10 objects on a trya, take one away and the children guess which one is missing. We go on a listening walk, a sight walk, and a smell walk. We end the unit by hiding a popcorn maker and the children use all 5 senses to guess what is making the noise, what the smell is, then when they guess, they get to touch it, look at it, and taste it.

I use lots of books, like The Listening Walk, Tails (feely book with different textured tails), Aliki's My Five Senses, and others that I can't think of right now.
    Hope this helps! It's such a fun unit.

12. lucylucy

lucylucy Rookie

Jan 21, 2010

for hearing - we blindfold students, and I will (turn on sink, open door, shake can of pencils....) and the blindfolded student has to guess what is going on.

for touch we blindfold students and give them an object, they guess what it is

we do a taste test with different tastes (lime, cucumber, etc...)

this thread is full of great ideas!

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2010

Lucy.... I did the same thing.. blindfolded & then gave them something to touch soft, smooth, rough. They guessed & then had to draw what they thought it was. Also we just sat & drew or wrote what we could hear.

Also used old magazines divided into the senses to cut pictures to put in each one. I think we found 3-5 for each, so it didn't take all day!!!