Ideas for teaching Social Studies words

Discussion in 'General Education' started by princessbloom, Sep 9, 2012.

1. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 9, 2012

I have spent a lot of time trying to think of a FUN way to teach certain Social Studies vocabulary. We have a SS book but the reading is very dry. I like to incorporate movement a lot in my classroom. I've searched our county website but, not surprising, their "activities" have NOTHING to do with the benchmarks! (I'll be glad when they finally decide to update it one day)...

Here are the words I'm seeking fun activities on:
    distortion
    geography
    climate
    vegetation
    continents (I have one for this)
    landform
    elevation

The kids have an insert in the book that tells them to fold a piece of paper and write the definitions on one side and the word on the other. I don't think that's going to HELP them learn. I'm not interested in paper and pencil methods that include nothing but memorization. Songs? Gestures? Games?:help:, please.

Aaaaand if you're feeling extra creative, a way to help them know the difference between city, state, country, continent...I had them create a flip book where they had to draw a picture of each, then we played a variation of 4 Corners (I would call "state" and they had a choice to run to Florida, Orlando, U.S., North America...etc.) They're still having difficulty but are slowly getting it. Maybe we'll just keep playing the game for practice.

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 9, 2012

Check into Whole-Brain Teaching. Their "Teach-Okay" is a super fun (and engaging) way to teach vocab.

4. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 9, 2012

I do use a lot of WBT methods in my class now. In fact, I do use the "teach/okay", but I was trying to do an actual activity with these. I may have to resort to that because I'm at a loss. Was just trying to make it fun and visual for them somehow.