Ideas for teaching human body systems

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by novalyne, Apr 25, 2014.

1. novalyne

novalyne Rookie

Apr 25, 2014

Hello all. I am teaching a unit on human body systems for the first time in my teaching career. It's 7th grade and we have very limited time to cover the systems. I want to do the systems in pairs and focus on the major parts of each system and then interactions within systems:
    -skeletal and muscular
    -circulatory and respiratory
    -digestive and excretory
    -nervous and endocrine
    -reproductive

The problem is that I will only have 1 block (90 minutes) to teach each pair of systems. Once we cover them all I do want to do a mini-project where each group takes a system and researches diseases and system failures. But they all have to learn all of the systems first.

Can anyone help with some engaging ideas on how to teach the basics/"big picture" ideas about each set of systems and their interactions? I try to teach using hands-on, inquiry, or project-based units but I'm really struggling with lack of time and how to present the material in an engaging way instead of just memorizing the names of a bunch of organs. :(

Any suggestions are very appreciated!

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2014

I do guided notes for about 30 min and then an engaging activity.

For skeletal and muscular I had my kids do physical fitness test. Also research athletes and find out what muscles are used for different sports.

Respiratory/circulatory we did how pulse changes from sitting, standing, walking, running. And breathing amounts per minute with how big you can blow up a balloon.

Digestive system we do nutrition labels.

Nervous system we do mirroring emotions.