Ideas for teaching Economics

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Deter, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Deter

Deter Guest

Feb 18, 2017

Hello everyone I am a student teacher currently teaching economics and I'm having a difficult time coming up with any really good lessons or anything. My students are Seniors and its hard to try to get them to really get them motivated. Can anyone give some advice to a new teacher?

3. dpatriots1

dpatriots1 New Member

Feb 18, 2017

Hi there,
    I also teach Economics to seniors. There are a lot of fun activities to do, but it depends what topic in Economics you are currently teaching. What topic are you teaching?

4. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Feb 18, 2017

Have you tried Teachers Pay Teachers? There's also some free resources/lesson activities online. Try to find student-centered/project-based learning activities for your Economics course and try incorporating connections to other subjects like Math/Science/ELA etc. to make it more fun and relevant. Current events in the Economics or Business world is good, too.
    :)

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2017

My high school econ course was so interactive and personal it led me to change my declared major and I'm so glad I did. Literally every topic in a beginning economic course (unless it is the history of econ) can be simulated.

Keep adding pieces of gum to simulate diminishing marginal utility.
    Play terrible music from your desk to simulate externalities.

If you want a book I'd recommend Economics in Action (http://store.councilforeconed.org/search.asp?searchString=economics+in+action) for a specific econ text and Teach Like a Pirate for just general social science teaching strategies.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2017

There are many good resources on izzit.org, including articles and videos. It's a free membership.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 20, 2017

If they're seniors, I'd focus on the idea of a transition plan for how they'll manage once they're out of high school. Even if they're going to college, they'll need to know how to budget and how to balance a checkbook. Perhaps they can look at where they'll live next year and figure out how they can live off campus or simply on their own with their intended post-school job. Applied Economics would get their attention far better than playing the stock market or anything like that.

8. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Mar 20, 2017

The website criticalcommons.org has video clips about all kinds of economic topics. Some of them are educational videos, but they also have a lot of clips from TV shows that go along with whatever topic you are looking for. It gets the students engaged, which helps start discussions about what you are teaching about.

9. Judy Frank

Judy Frank New Member

Mar 30, 2017

There are a lot of video tutors about it.