Ideas for taking up time after ss test

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherguy111, Aug 21, 2014.

1. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Aug 21, 2014

My school has pretty long periods at 1 hour and 20 minutes. After we finish a test I am trying to come up with some activities that I can do to finish out the period.
    It is essentially a 7th grade class.
    Last year in English I would have them play scrabble…. but obviously that doesn't really connect to social studies.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 21, 2014

I love blocks! How about just moving on to the next subject? Don't make it tedious, but something that gets them thinking about concepts. It can be mildly fun (or more, if you can manage it), but you don't get those minutes back, so I would stay academic. At the very least have a book they can read - you are language arts.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2014

i agree...just trying to wait out the period really isn't making good use of instructional minutes. They could read a text related to the content they just tested on. Why not have them do an extension activity where they can apply their learning via a project or presentation?

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 21, 2014

Don't waste one minute of instructional time.

Write found poems - choose phrases and words from a text they are reading and create poems with them by arranging them in meaningful ways. These poem can have great impact.

Create geometric collages with each shape representing a character from a story. The students glue the shapes onto construction paper, assigning one character per figure, in a way that suggests their relationships and importance to the story. Offer pre-cut geometric figures in various sizes and colors.

Offer a choice of extension activities, perhaps cross-curricular, for research in an area that relates to students' reading.

Have students work on vocabulary on www.freerice.com (about 70 different levels which they can adjust) or grammar and usage on www.chompchomp.com .

Have students create cartoon strips based on literature - or create their own stories. Or else, provide cut up magazine pictures for students to create picture books.

Give a choice of short stories, have students read and then write to their choice of characters in the story to give the characters advice.

Silent reading of their own choice with journal responses.

6. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Aug 21, 2014

Thanks for the suggestions…. I forgot to mention I am now teaching social studies and not language arts, just haven't changed it on my profile.

I don't really want to do reading for the rest of the period…. have you ever tried to make middle schoolers sit in the same place for an hour and 20 minutes, not happening….

7. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 21, 2014

If your ELA teacher isn't doing anything with Greek and Latin roots, I could send you my Greek Roots project. I used it all year long with my early finishers. They knew anytime they finished a test or assignment early they could work on it. It isn't SS EXACTLY, but I feel that the roots are important to understand everyday and beyond vocab. Maybe you could supplement with a little "at your pace" Greek/Latin project?

Call it cross-curricular...if it is a time-filler it should be ok if it isn't strictly SS content.

PM your email and I can send you details.

ETA--I misunderstood and thought you were looking for something for the finished testers to do, not a whole class activity for after EVERYONE is done with the test. My project might not work but I am still happy to share :)

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 21, 2014

If this is to use up the rest of the period after everyone has finished, why not look for some brain quest trivia packs and put them into teams. You can keep them moving by setting a clock for about 15 seconds (plus or minus) for the answer, which keeps the lines moving. If both teams miss the answer, I allow them to huddle, give them 30 seconds, and try again. Both teams huddle at the same time, which encourages more output by everyone, because the first choice answer might be wrong and the second team gets a chance to shout out what may have been a second choice answer that happens to be right. They are up, they are engaged, they have fun, they learn, and every student is involved. You can get them for various ages. I always kept one from the age group below, the one on target, and one from the age group above. It is trivia fast fact over a wide range of subjects, and you can differentiate a bit by which set you select for in a wide range of abilities classroom. I started using these when I subbed, and they made me very popular, because I did away with the boring dead time and made it productive. I am sure there are a variety of things along this line, but these come attached in a neat packet and are easily stored. Just a suggestion. Oh, and someone asked me before, so I can tell you they are readily available on Amazon. :cool:

9. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 21, 2014

my kids LOVED playing scategories (i think i got this idea from this site) you give them a letter and they have to come up, in teams, (or individually) all the things they know in ss that start with that letter. I let them do people, places, and ideas. I made it a little harder and they had to tell me one thing about each thing they listed for it to count

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2014

Since the students will be finishing at different times, I would probably find a non fiction passage for students to read (common core mandates this). This can be a primary source, like a diary or memoir. I'd probably lean away from comprehension questions since it's after a painful test, and create an activity or discussion questions based on the passage.

11. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 21, 2014

This would be a great time to do some sort of current events activity. That type if thing us always relevant, and you can easily structure it to fit whatever time you have. I would probably start with using CNN Student News as a springboard.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 21, 2014

I would do an anticipation activity for the next unit. Get them up and moving. I divide my room in half a lot and read statements like "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" (Macbeth unit). They move to whichever side they side with. Then we discuss briefly. We do about about seven of them. Then they go back to their seats and choose the one they agree of disagree with most passionately and write a journal prompt explaining why.

13. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Aug 22, 2014

I like the idea of current events and student news. I could also incorporate some non fiction current events as a springboard also.

I also like the idea of brain quest. Thanks for the ideas!

14. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 22, 2014

Check out newsela.com they have good current event articles

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2014

I too was going to suggest a non-fiction read aloud. Even currents events.