Ideas For Student Teacher "goodie Bag"

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by valenti, Dec 13, 2005.

1. valenti

valenti Rookie

Dec 13, 2005

My daughter does her student teaching next semester-kindergarten and 2nd grade. I bought a new tote bag and plan to fill it with "goodies" that she might need for student teaching. I have purchased stickers (kind that say good job, etc.), pencils, pens, teacher planner book, teacher idea book, chalk.

I want to get more items, but not sure what would be appropriate. Is there anything that would I should consider purchasing for a new student teacher?

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2005

1st of all I wish I would have had you for a mom in my student teaching class...it's nice that you think of the student teacher that way.

Fun note pads, for jotting down quick notes. Maybe a gift certificate to a local store. Lotion, anti-bacterial hand cleanser, a teacher cup or mug.

Hope this helps!!!

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Dec 13, 2005

A nice gel pen to grade papers. I like pink. Slide grader. Glue stick. Camera. Clear nail polish. quick fix runs in hose. Sewing kit. --the tiny plastic box with different color thread, needle and tiny scissors ( a dollar at the Dollar Store) 3 or 4 safety pins. Small bottle of asperin. Whistle for recess. They have cool bird sounds at Wal Mart. Box of file folders to organize and keep the different worksheets and etc that she collects. It is best to organize stuff as she goes along. Later there won't be time to sort through stuffs of ideas.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 13, 2005

A plastic crate thing to keep the hanging files in. I bought some at Walmart. They have a blue cover and clear plastic. You can hang the file folders in them. Make sure to tell her to photo copy everything the teacher does.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 13, 2005

Good one!! My cooperating teacher during student teaching was a little disorganized and I didn't get to do much copying of materials, but now that I'm working as a long-term sub I'm copying EVERYTHING this teacher has in her room and sticking them in hanging file folders.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 13, 2005

Oh good idea Beth. Will you send me copies of everything LOL jk.

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 13, 2005

high lighters, sticky notes, paper clips, brads, scisors, blank cards or thank you cards, index cards, didgital camera, or film, small scrap book. (I use a little tackle box to keep my set of crayons, markers, pens, colored pencils, glue, dry erase markers, chalk in.)

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 13, 2005

I love sharpie markers and white board markers. Not only does she need a crate she needs file folders to put the things in. Get her a glue stick, and the scissors that make the designs. A travel mug to bring coffee or tea to work.

If she is student teaching in kindergarten she will need a smock. I wear one sometimes when we paint and do messy activities so my clothes don't messed up.

10. KarToTeach

KarToTeach Rookie

Dec 13, 2005

All the things like pens, glue etc. should be provided by her school. It's fun to have your own but it may not be necessary. Maybe things like certificates to hand out to students for a job well done, definitely a smock, can't emphasize a whistle enough (it will save her in phys. ed.), a reliable alarm clock (!!).
    You're being a very considerate mom!

11. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Dec 13, 2005

I agree with KarToTeach that the school may possibly supply many of the small supplies like glue sticks, crayons, rulers, etc. Like others have mentioned, file folders are a must! I love the ones that come in vibrant colors. They have them at most office supply stores and even at some super markets. I would have also died without my rolling cart. They sell them at teacher stores. Even though most schools will supply markers, buy sharpies. They work the best and she will most likely be making a handful of posters. Finally, a gift that will come the most appreciated...a gift card from Lakeshore or your local teacher store. She will have to present lessons to the kids and the teacher supply store usually has wonderful things that will aid her in teaching the lesson.

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 13, 2005

I love my label maker. Any book by Mailbox for her grade level; their Superbooks are particularly good. Also, a book of clip art.

13. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 13, 2005

Although some schools may supply things I remember needing things to create projects and games at home so it is always good to have.

14. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2005

If it were my daughter, I would include a nice bottle of wine for at home after the first day...

15. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Dec 13, 2005

The school might supply items, but she will likely be creating a lot during the semester on her own. I can't live without dry erase markers, rubber cement, and sticky notes.

During my student teaching last year I bought a 3 pack of disposable cameras and wrote my name on the bottom with Sharpie. I left these around the room and I had it there to pick up for a quick shot or my cooperating teacher could pick one up if she saw me in action! :) It was great, I love the pictures and because it was disposable I wasn't worried about the grimy kindergarten fingers or anyone stealing it! Just a suggestion.

What a great mom to think of your daughter -- she's also going to need your ear to listen to her endless kid stories and a supply of caffeine -- I was never more tired than I was those first several weeks of student teaching.

:)

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 14, 2005

A big surprise would be a digital camera. Coffee mug, compact mirror, band aids, sticky notes, sticky notes, sticky notes.

17. valenti

valenti Rookie

Dec 14, 2005

Thanks for all your great ideas! I will need 4 tote bags now!

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2005

Valenti
    Do your pencils say teacher? When we did our pre-internship our mentor teacher always had pencils stuck behind her ear that said teacher...so our running joke was we couldn't be a teacher w/out a teacher pencil. That's what one of our gifts were when we left!!!

Maybe you should save some of these & do a goodie bag when she/he leaves!!!

19. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 23, 2006

Great Ideas. I just started my student teaching. Gives me good ideas of what I will be needing.

20. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 24, 2006

A book of graphic organizers such as Scholastic's "50 Graphic Organizers".
    A book of all-purpose forms such as "Forms for All Reasons" by the publisher of Mailbox Magazine or "The Teacher's Binder" by Timesavers for Teachers.

21. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Sep 24, 2006

Wow, this is an old thread. I would say to include a couple of tubes of Airborne! I was sick every other week during my ST.