Ideas for sprucing up outside play area for cheap

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by SamIAm, May 21, 2011.

1. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

May 21, 2011

Hi everyone. I really want to make my outdoor area cooler for the kids. The problem is that I don't have much money. I have a lot of the basics right now: swing slide, sandbox, playhouse etc., but I would love to include more natural materials like boulders or wood pieces for them to work with. I really would like to make a bike path as well. I would also really like to spruce up my water play area as it is just a couple tables and some toys right now. I found some links to cool ways to make water walls, and I will definitly be doing that. Can any of you give me any more ideas on ways I can fix up my playground for cheap.
    Thanks,
    Courtney

3. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

May 21, 2011

I don't have an outdoor area, but love to look at sites like Teacher Tom's and drool at how fun and messy the kids can get outside.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 21, 2011

Ohhhhh, I love outdoor play spaces.....but you would never know looking at ours! Sorta Blah....but we do a lot when we are in it! We have made it to planting a veggie garden and we have a windblown garden where the children are free to put seeds from flowers we find or they have at home, the occasional flower packet gets thrown in there as well. The point of that garden is that they either grow or they don't. The children carry water over in water cans and "tend" it....but it is a much more natural space. Think.....meadow-ish? We have a large whiteboard from a classroom that was getting torn down outside to use with markers. We have an enormous tree which is the focus of many of our lessons. The tree makes a natural spot under it that is barren (between the dense shade and the roots there isn't much hope it will grow anything). That is our bike route. It has some fall zone mats making a "bike trail" but it is quite rustic. We have two benches that rubbermaid thinks will hold sports equipment....but they are the right angle of our outdoor block area. There are small mega blocks on top...and on occasion in the hot hot summer we open them to find.....giant mega blocks that build a fort! There must be 4 or 5 sets in there!

We have a bench swing to sit on with books and read and we carry a basket of books out when summer starts and the chances of rain decrease.

Two playhouses (just regular lil tykes ones), two wagons, and two tables....this has been where most of the action is. Right now this is a thriving farmers' market with rock food and grass soup. On the faucet we have a dog lick (and no dog) this allows the children to get water themselves. We have two water tables outside. Codes prevent me from installing cool water features....sad.

5. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

May 22, 2011

Add logs

If you know someone that can donate some logs to your playground that would be awesome. Check out this link and you will see the various ways that you can incorporate them.

http://progressiveearlychildhoodedu...4/just-add-stones-logs-stumps-and-mounds.html

A mud pit would be great too! If you don't have some trees, shrubs and a garden, I would add that as well. You can use containers. How about adding a big mound somewhere in the yard. Some tires and rocks. Add various surfaces to the area. For example, grass, gravel, rocks, wood chips, sand and dirt! There are "how to" on line about how to build an inexpensive water table with PVC. You can also plant climbing vines around a twig structure to create a living playhouse. These are great!