Ideas for Small Group

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by lizziebeth66, Jan 2, 2014.

1. lizziebeth66

lizziebeth66 New Member

Jan 2, 2014

I teach at a church preschool I have just been moved up to 4's this year. I have 14 kids in my class no para. We have a floating helper for the entire preschool. I have talked with my director about carving out about 15 minutes a day for the helper to take a small group to work on various things. I need suggestions on different ideas for her to do with them. I know writing names, going over letters is a given, but I would like to make it fun for them not just writing and flash cards. I have a few ideas such as alphabet bingo and that sort of thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Jan 2, 2014

4. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jan 3, 2014

There are tons of small group activities she could do, but it would be hard to list them all :) I would suggest that you check out the websites that the previous poster listed, as well as look on pinterest. Just search "preschool small groups" and you'll find tons of ideas.

I think the best way to use that time would be to assess your students and group them based on ability so that you get some really good differentiation in when you have an extra person. You could have the helper do a math, literacy, art, science, and handwriting/fine motor group each week. For math, my small groups do things like drawing number sets and labeling with the number, using math manipulatives to practice 1:1 correspondence, using dominos to count the dots and sort them into matching number groups, using shaving cream to practice writing numbers, going on shape scavenger hunts in the school, etc.. For literacy, we practice finding things in our classroom that start with a certain letter, clapping the syllables in our friends names, matching pictures of words that rhyme, matching beginning sounds, matching uppercase to lowercase letters, doing a letter puzzle to put letters in A-Z order, writing letters in sand trays, and much more. Our art activity is usually theme based and something fairly open ended and for science we usually do some type of science experiment, looking at nature samples, working on life cycle sequencing, things that like. For handwriting and fine motor, the helper can have them practice letter formation with their first names or sandpaper letters, using clothes pins to pick up small items and move to a container (my students LOVE this! especially during large group), doing lacing cards, using playdough to make letters, or practice using scissor to cut different types of lines and shapes.

5. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Jan 10, 2014

Start with learning objectives (state standards if you want) and work backwards... Identify what you want them to learn first, then figure out how they can "play" their way to those skills.