Ideas for Secret Valentine

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Feb 13, 2012.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 13, 2012

I need help!

My staff is doing a secret Valentine thing all week. Each day this week, we have to leave a little treat for our secret Valentine. It can be anything-food, notes, cards, etc. I am new to the building, and had no idea what to expect.

I looked online for cute phrases, and for today I bought a Milky Way candy bar and attached a note that said, "Valentine, you're a star in my galaxy." Well, I went to put it in my secret Valentine's mailbox, and was I surprised: One person received an entire goodie bag of stuff (candy, decorations for her classroom), and another had received a sundae cup filled with M&M's, and heart-shaped taffy on top (it looks like a sundae). :eek:

I feel like I need to step it up a bit! The problem is, my secret Valentine is a building aide that I do not work with. When I received the letter that said who my Valentine was, I had to ask a co-worker who she was. Any ideas as to what I could get her? I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't want to continue leaving boring gifts. :huh:

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 13, 2012

I'd go to the dollar store, $1 section of Target, or Hobby Lobby & put together my own cheap things. Each day, you could go from the simplest gift to a little more if you want. Here's some ideas:

- You could get a cute cup & fill it w/ Hersey's kisses one day.

- Get caramel popcorn in a cute container another day.

- A little pack of See's Candies lollipops.

- A cute little poem w/ a tiny picture frame.

- A $5 gift card to Starbucks or some other treat shop. (Maybe this could be on the final day.)

4. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Feb 13, 2012

If you know she is going to get it right away, maybe pick up a hot drink on the way to school. I would love to get a hot chocolate and they are less than $2!

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 13, 2012

Love the ideas so far. Thanks!

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2012

Swedish fish - "Glad we're in the same school."
    I would like any of the other suggestions. The other gifts you saw could be really close friends who happened to get each other. Just do what you can afford and have fun with it.

7. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 13, 2012

Shoot, my comment wasn't posted because I can't do links yet. What about making something? I'm baking challenged, but I was going to make red velvet rice krispie treats for my SO. They're extremely easy and they look festive. Plus, who doesn't like rice krispie treats? There are zillions of recipes out there if you google them.

I don't know if you live near a Trader Joe's, but they have nice flowers for MUCH less than most other places. I've seen small bouquets for around $3-5. That could also be an option.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2012

Box of tea bags...you're my cup of...

Jar of honey....you're as sweet as

Bag of shortbread. Or biscotti...you're a smart....

We reveal our Secret Valentines tomorrow...I sent mine Valentine socks today and told her to wear to our staff breakfast tomorrow and I'll wear matching ones....:)

9. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 13, 2012

I made pretzel kisses for my grade level team tonight. Super easy! Bag of Hershey Kisses, bag of waffle pretzels, bag of M&Ms. Place pretzels on a cookie sheet, top each one with a kiss. Pop them in the oven for 5 minutes at 170 degrees. When they come out, smush an M&M on top of each to cement the melted kiss to the pretzel. Allow to cool and voila! I put a bunch in cute treat bags. I used valentine M&Ms to make them look festive. They're so cute and easy!

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 13, 2012

We did our Secret Valentines last week and I was so happy the day I was brought breakfast. She made me a plate (sturdy paper plate covered with red napkins) with an apple, a muffin and a coffee roll. I saw a few other teachers who were brought coffee and a donut.

For my Valentine I did a lot of baking b/c she had said she likes all kinds of food. I got heart decorated cellophane bags from the dollar store to put the treats in. I also got small dessert gift boxes from the Wilton section of the craft store. I made chocolate chip cookies, white chocolate peppermint bark, a yummy trail mix cookie, Oreo balls, and Nutella topped blondies. These were all things that I make regularly at home anyway so I'd pack up about half a dozen for her and leave the rest for my family. When I revealed myself on Friday she asked me which bakery I had used because she wanted to go and get more of some of the items. Packing them up nicely had helped give them that special touch that turned a simple gift into something elegant.