ideas for seating at circle time

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MOM1TEACHER2, Jun 25, 2009.

1. MOM1TEACHER2

MOM1TEACHER2 Rookie

Jun 25, 2009

I would like some ideas about seating for circle time. My circle rug is now too small for all to sit on and be comfortable for all. I will have 16 in my morning class. I don't think it is in the budget to buy enough cushions for each student, I thought about a few long body pillows, or maybe somehow make laminated circles with name on them. Circle time goes a lot smoother if everyone has their own personal space I have found!
    If you could, please share your ideas, or what you use for circle time.

Thank you!:)

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

at my old school we didn't have carpets or rugs.
    I purchased placemats at BigLots - each child had their own placemat to sit on.

4. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Jun 25, 2009

I had the same problem this year. In the past, I had always had a rectangular rug with "boxes" on it. In my new school, I have a circle with the alphabet on it. It's too small for each child to have their own letter to sit on-they really need two each-and I have 20 students. I ended up having 13 around the circle and 7 in the middle, but it was really crowded. I'm also trying to think of a good solution.

I like the placemat idea. Did you ever have a problem with them sliding around when the kids were standing on them (for songs, pledges, etc)?

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

no the placemats are made of the gripper stuff that you can line kitchen cabinets and drawer with. it's the foamy kind of stuff.

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 25, 2009

I use 24" by 24" blue puzzle mat squares from Toys R Us. Each child has his/her own space and they clean easily. I can add or take away a square and buy replacement squares when needed.

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

i had these (mats) and after awhile they would tear and then the boys like to pick at it.

8. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jun 25, 2009

I tried place mats last year, for my kids who wouldn't fit on the carpet. I got really cute ones at Walmart with ABC's and Sesame Street characters. The kids were always pulling them out from under themselves to look at and play with. They were a big distraction. I would go with something plain, if possible.

9. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Jun 25, 2009

Someone had gotten little carpet squares for my class--like the kind that carpet stores use as samples. Maybe see if a flooring store will be willing to donate some for your class? I just used masking tape to label kid's names on the the circle-time rug, but a couple of my kids benefited from having a carpet square to define their space.

10. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jun 25, 2009

Our Morning Meeting was chaotic without clearly defined "personal space". My girls used to clump together on one side and boys on the other!

WalMart has a good selection of placemats, but you do have to choose wisely because some will fall apart or be distracting. Try to get something cheap, plain, and able to hold a nametag of some kind. I did first names on one side and last names on the other and switched it up from time to time. You can control who sits where and keep certain kids separated.

Just taping names on the rug can work, too. At least you are spreading them out a little bit. Laminated circles might slip around too much.

11. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Jun 25, 2009

That makes more sense! I was thinking of the laminated ones that have the alphabet or cartoon characters on them. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

12. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

mine were solid colors

13. MOM1TEACHER2

MOM1TEACHER2 Rookie

Jun 25, 2009

I like these ideas, keep them coming!

14. preschoolheart

preschoolheart Rookie

Jun 25, 2009

At my school we have "sit-upons"- I frequently remind my students that it's called a sit-upon because you're supposed to sit upon it (not wave it around in the air, bite it, or hit your neighbor with it!). Our sit-upons are just 9x11in pieces of craft foam that you can buy at craft stores- each kid has one with their name written on it with sharpie. Some teachers use the stiff felt that you can also get at craft stores, but I prefer the foam because it's easy to rinse off after an accident or when it just gets dirty. Ours managed to last all year, although by May they were looking kind of beat up (ripped corners, bite marks, dirt stains, etc).

15. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 25, 2009

Dot spots from a music or PE catalog. You can also use the foam dots from the Twister outdoor game. I use these in my music class.

16. susiequilts

susiequilts Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

I say keep it simple: Red masking tape in lines on the rug. When it's time for morning meeting, they are to find a spot on the lines.

I've seen teachers use very complicated methods to give kids their own space, but simple lines really work well.

Sue

17. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2009

I have 24 and have found mats can be more distracting than they're worth. I usually don't use anything but a colleague uses the tape lines successfully. I have some carpet squares for those who keep violating personal spaces of others or need something tactile to feel to stay in one place. You could use these vinyl alphabet mats from Lakeshore - they also have number ones.

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|searchResults~~p|GG706~~.jsp

18. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 7, 2009

Try the local HOm Depot or Lowes or other Carpet sores. many times they will give you carpet scraps or sample pieces for free.

19. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 7, 2009

I have also used Xs of masking tape. I have to be careful though when I tell them to sit on their X's!

20. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 7, 2009

:lol:

21. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 11, 2009

I've seen some where they take construction paper, put the kids' pics on there and their name, maybe a few sticker or something to decorate with then laminate them.

You can put them out where you want them to sit and there is no disputing which place belongs to who.

22. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jul 11, 2009

I do something similar to what SpecialPreskoo just recommended. I print off name labels and laminate them, put the rough side of velcro on the back and stick them to the carpet. That way everyone knows exactly where their spot is (the label has a picture that corresponds with the first letter of their name - although I also like the idea of the kid's picture on there!) and if a certain combination of kiddos isn't working - i can move them around as needed. But the velcro helps keep the labels on the carpet and the kids don't play with them as much. I print the labels at: http://www.environments.com

23. MOM1TEACHER2

MOM1TEACHER2 Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

The church is very picky about the new carpets in the rooms, does the velcro snag the carpet?If we use tape on the floors we have to use the painters tape.

24. MOM1TEACHER2

MOM1TEACHER2 Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

I have tried the tape, but the tape gets pulled up and picked at. I have four classes, plus the church is in the room on weekends, four services! I am always replacing the tape!

25. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jul 14, 2009

I've never really had a problem with it snagging the carpet - but you might want to try it in an inconspicuous spot first or something!

26. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

I use the hook side of velcro to make lines for the kids to sit on. It clings nice and tight to the carpet and holds up well with the kids. Plus it can easily be removed without leaving any marks on the carpet.

27. LuvKinder

LuvKinder Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

I have a carpet from Lakeshore that has 5 different colored rows and is divided into 30 squares. So each student has their assigned square. By the first week they know their assigned square and immediately go to it when its carpet time. This rug saves me from so many arguments of this person is touching me/in my space. They each have their square and know that they are to stay in it. :)

28. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 16, 2009

I simply have a rug from Walmart. It is tan and is 'known" as THE MAGIC SAND! It is hard to have an assigned spot for 3 year olds, because of absences, my attendance is NOT the same every day of the week, and some personalities will just not mix one day, but blend well the next. I love the idea of laminated mats though ~ so who knows. may change it this year.