ideas for reluctant writer...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherhoosier, Feb 7, 2014.

1. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Feb 7, 2014

I am in search of suggestions to help a reluctant/lazy writer. I teach first grade. He is very unmotivated to do work, but is capable. He has poor fine motor skills, which in part contribute to his reluctance to write. He just turned 6 in July, and he really should be a kindergartener again this year, but he was at the borderline and they decided to pass him on (big mistake). He does well in reading and math, but is very unmotivated. I have met with parents twice-both times they seem not to care about his difficulties. They say he has the same types of issues at home, but appear unwilling/unable to do anything to fix them. He does go after school with Grandma and Grandma does do homework with him. I told parents I wanted to send home some handwriting ideas/book to try and help improve his fine motor skills and some writing activities. I don't know how I am going to send him with a good conscience onto second grade with these types of motivation issues and lack of writing stamina/ability. Is there anything else anyone has done in the past with reluctant writers?

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 7, 2014

With a student this reluctant--I would suggest the extreme example I use to use when I taught primary. If I had a student who constantly refused to write, in a gentle and caring way, I would invite him to a table and he would sit. Then with all the enthusiasm I could come up with. I would write a story while he sat and watched. I would get so excited about my story and I would write and write about it, while commenting a lot about it out loud. Within 5 minutes, the boy would beg me to allow him to write the story. I would say, "Maybe in a few minutes, but right now writing this story is too much fun for me to stop." He'd beg again, and eventually I would let him write his story.

When he did, I just let him write and ignored handwriting. One battle at a time.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 8, 2014

Poor kid. He should have been retained because his parents are going to hear this song for most of his academic life. To help with the fine motor skills, playing with play dough, coloring, and drawing anything he's interested in will help develop those fine motor skills.

5. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 8, 2014

Wow, poor kid. You say he has fine motor problems which definitely interfere with writing. Then you call him lazy. Maybe he is even more reluctant because his teacher is willing to call him a very negative name - lazy. I think I, too, might be reluctant if I had a problem with motor skills and had a teacher that decided I was lazy.