Ideas for quantification activity?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by jbrinkm, Nov 20, 2013.

1. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Nov 20, 2013

I'm looking for a cute and easy activity to both teach and assess my students' quantification abilities. Any that you do that you really like?

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 21, 2013

Define your quantification goals, please.

4. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Nov 21, 2013

Starting to automatically see and state a small number of objects without counting (i.e. "there are four balls in there" - just by looking). Also, starting to separate a group of items into different parts using numerical descriptors (i.e. there were four balls in there, but two rolled away, so only two are in there now). Finally, after separating groups into parts numerically, being able to compare more, less and the same amounts (i.e. there were five balls in there but two fell out and rolled away, now we only have the big ones left. That's ok, we still have all three of these big ones). For now, I just want to work up to 5 total.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 21, 2013

Wow. My first reaction is that this is a higher functioning skill. Take a look at Piaget to determine how children think and at what age.

Simply counting how many and which group is bigger-smaller-the same seems appropriate. I might start with eating--give each one 5 crackers. Eat one--how many are left?

6. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Nov 21, 2013

We use Teaching Strategies GOLD for our assessment system and quantifying up to 5 items as I described is the minimum on the "blue" bar for a 4 year old. Understanding 1, 2 and the concept of "more" is a 2 year old skill and the "green" bar for 3 year olds is higher than the concept of 2 but not quite yet understanding 5.

I personally think that preschool aged kids who have a lot of exposure to number concepts ARE able to grasp this (my own two children did this easily by age 4, and I have a few students who are able to do it with little guidance), but whether I agree with it or not, it is a skill I have to teach. And I am supposed to be assessing children where they are and then moving them towards their age-based goal.

It doesn't have to be complex word-problem level understanding or drill and force in an unfun way; it could be something like 5 items at lunchtime, 1 is to drink, 2 are to eat and 2 we can't eat. But the child has to demonstrate they "get" it.

7. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Nov 21, 2013

and believe me, I have read Piaget ad nauseam.... (BA, MA and coursework towards a Ph.D. in education & child development)
    plus other theorists and researchers who have dispelled much of what he wrote...
    ah, but that is another hearty debate in a different post

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 21, 2013

jbrinkm, I think you and I will have many interesting discussions, which I look forward to. You probably know more about ECE than I do, with your MA. If you are teaching the children and you know they have the skills, I can accept that it is appropriate. So many teachers have no understanding of the sequence of learning a concept and/or skill.

9. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Nov 22, 2013

I do like the idea of using a snack to teach and assess this concept - maybe saltine, graham and cheeseit crackers as choices. My students are always motivated to learn when it involves food!

10. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Nov 24, 2013

I'm really getting into this cracker idea! I bought saltines, graham crackers, RITZ and cheesy crackers at Target tonight. I can get both counting and quantifying with this activity, plus listening to instructions (take 2 graham crackers and 3 ritz crackers - how many crackers do you have?) and identifying shapes (rectangle, square, circle), also size comparison. And the kids will be super excited to eat crackers. THANK YOU!

Oh! And then we can do a chart - which was your favorite cracker?
    What was similar and different?

11. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Nov 27, 2013

There's a magic secret for working with this kind of concept. Would you like to hear it? The secret is: You start with where children are.
    When I say that, I mean that each child is an individual and children will be at different levels of development across the board. So, your groups and activities need to be set up in a flexible enough manner to allow kids to have an experience that will be successful for them. One that they will come away with having built and reinforced some level of their knowledge. So, first of all, what kind of activities will accommodate a group of children at different levels.

So, (I'm assuming) that you have several children with different levels of development, but you would like to present them with a learning experience to convey and create mastery in the concepts of quantity.
    So, I hear you wanting suggestions for activities to create estimation, problem solving, predictions, reasoning, logic
    So, first start with where they are. A very young child or a less developed child might need a different activity than an older or more developed child. How can you accommodate both groups and still have a relevant activity? What you need is appropriate activities that will help you out and give you something to take away that you can use? Correct? I do have ideas. I do have activities that might really work. It's hard to provide all the answers in just one post, but I would be happy to private message to you if one of one on one time and ideas if you like to discuss more! Or just start another thread about things that would work and get some ideas going,. Discuss what works and what doesn't? I'd be in. Inviting folks might work! I'd be happy to work with this idea and come up with new ideas I've never tried if you would like to? Just shoot me an IM . Let's talk some more.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 27, 2013

jbrink--sounds like you and the students had a great time. My style of teaching is to take the same lesson plan, change the materials, and teach.