Ideas for Preschool Special Ed

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by crosscountryski, Jul 31, 2011.

1. crosscountryski

crosscountryski Companion

Jul 31, 2011

Hi

In a few short weeks, I will be in class teaching preschool special ed in a public school. This has always been my dream position. Something that I always hoped for. My undergraduate was in Early Childhood and Masters was in Special Ed prek-grade 12. I am more than qualified but this is my first time back in preschool in 4 years. Last 3 yrs were in upper elementary grades.

Any tips or ideas would be great. I am leaning towards using themes and Second Step (social skills). We have set times for specials.

I saw on here that someone let the preschool students find their name/picture on a card and place it in a pocket when they come in to the classroom. If anyone has pictures that you can email me, I would appreciate it. I am just trying to picture how to do this. I am planning to take pictures the first week of school.

Does anyone have welcome letters that you can email me and examples of newsletters. This year, I want to focus on communication with parents.

Thanks

3. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jul 31, 2011

Your position sounds very similar to mine, and I was just new last year. This year, I too am hoping to really focus on parent communication. I send a newsletter home each week. I use a mailbox template and it is pretty simple - what books we're reading, skills we're working on, a song or fingerplay we've learned and any items we might need donated.

Last year, I had the students names laid out on a table before school began. When they arrived, they would pick up their name and take it to the center of their choice to play. It had the bonus of making attendance really simple for me! But this year, I don't want to start with choice time, I want to do work boxes - similar to those in the TEACCH method. That way, I can tailor activities to each child's skill level. So I am still a little unsure about how to work the morning procedure.

Good luck to you!

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 31, 2011

Sounds like mine. I have typical peers, too. Congrats on the new job!!

I know this isn't what you were looking for, but if you need pictures for PECS or scheduling... here is a good site.
    http://trainland.tripod.com/pecs.htm

5. Gimet

Gimet Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

Hi
    I also teach ECSE. I have my students "sign in" when they enter the classroom. I made tables with the letters of their names. Some match the letters of their names and others trace the letters on gray scale and then copy the letters of their name on the next row. Then they go to an assigned center (different one each day of week) then they can go to a self-selected activity.

We do the matching their name to pictures as part of circle time.

Each of our students has a communication book and I e-mail or send home hard copy of the Unit Letters (some units are one week others are two).

It's a fun job and very rewarding! Enjoy!

6. crosscountryski

crosscountryski Companion

Jul 31, 2011

Hi

Thank you everyone for wonderful ideas. I am a bit overwhelmed but that should settle down. I have a lot of things that I want to tackle but can't figure out what to do first. I was fortunate to spend some time with the kids before school let out, so I won't be a stranger to them when I come back. I will have a mix of students, some speech, a couple with autism, developmentally delayed. I am planning to work with the 4-5 yr olds on writing their name or tracing it before they go to kindergarten.

Communication books have been ordered for me.

Regarding the mailbox template, can you send me the link to it. I type it into google and come up with templates to make mailboxes. Not exactly what I was looking for.

I only get the kids for 3 hours a day. I wish I could have them longer. Here is my tenative schedule (which I am sure it will change). Thoughts/Suggestions?

Arrival/check in/put stuff away
    Circle (20-25 minutes) (Second Step 1xwk)
    Lunch (allowing 30 minutes)
    Clean up/Jobs
    Quiet time/looking at books/bathroom (15 minutes)
    specials (either music/PE/library) (15-30 minutes)
    Recess/snack
    Centers (45 mins)
    Get ready for home/bus.

thanks

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 31, 2011

We have the pics on flower picks in the center of a die cut of a flower. Names written on the sticks. Then when the child comes in they move the stick from the flower pot where they are standing at entry to the regular blue pocket chart.

8. PrekTeach397

PrekTeach397 New Member

Aug 1, 2011

I taught special needs prek last year and it's all about visuals and using PECS. I used Boardmaker to print pictures and make picture schedules. Also, they needed to be taught how to play in centers so my TA and I split them into groups and after a month of hard work they were able to choose their own centers and play! Also, I noticed my children with behavior problems needed a lot more consistency, structure, and high expectations!

Good luck!

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 1, 2011

I think a lot will depend on the ages and abilities of your students and a lot will be "feeling them out" your first week or so. Then you will have a good idea about how to modify the curriculum.

As for the names. I start the year off with just their names and see who needs more help, the pictures are on the cubbies, if I see they need help finding their names I will modify accordingly, first by changing the color of one letter, then by adding a sticker and lastly putting a picture which would be the easiest possible. As for writing their names, I have various modifications in place for that as well.

10. LifeSkills

LifeSkills Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

Special Ed Pre-k

My kids sign-in when they get into the classroom. I have a board that says home, school and they move their picture or name (depending on the level of the kids). I have all kids with autism, so everything is color-coded from the background on their names to the color their personal schedule is. I have BoardMaker and I use it for everything.
    As far as parent communication, each kid has a notebook that goes back and forth, with a sheet inside listing the activities that we did. This year we are required to do a weekly newsletter as well, I'm not sure what that is going to look like.