Ideas for Outdoor Activities

Discussion in 'Music Teachers' started by Conny Feldt, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Conny Feldt

Conny Feldt New Member

Aug 10, 2020

Hi, everyone!

Does anyone have any good ideas for outdoor activities for primary (years 1 - 3, specifically) to get kids excited about music? We're in the school holidays right now in the UK and I want to start the new year off with something a bit different to get the children excited about their music lessons and really foster a sense of team/interactivity. I feel like, a lot of the time and as the lessons go on, children tend to become more insular and focus on their individual instruments or elements of the theory they enjoy (later on) - which is great! I just wanted to see if anyone could help me bounce around some ideas for a fun introduction activity that takes place outside for me to wow the little ones with when we come back.

Let me know what you think and thanks for all your help :)

3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Aug 10, 2020

I've got a few ideas. Have you done "making rain" before? It works best with large groups. You could do something with natural sounds or found instruments. The added space of being outside would lend itself well to movement exercises like Dalcroze-type or Eurythmics. The year 3s would likely be able to do some body percussion ostinatos. I don't know if music standards in the UK include folk dance (they do in some parts of the US). There's a book with all kinds of music-related games designed for ages 4-7 in the "Wee Sing" series, "Wee Sing & Play" by Pamela Conn Beall and Susan Hagen Nipp. I've done a few of those with first graders.