Ideas for learning vocab. words?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by firemaple, Apr 6, 2008.

1. firemaple

firemaple Companion

Apr 6, 2008

I teach high school lang. arts. I'm a first-year teacher and wanted to see if there were any cool ideas out there on how to teach vocabulary words.

My kids are almost all ESE.

Thanks in advance for the great ideas I'm sure you all will have.

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2008

I give my students a word of the day from the Daily Spark vocab book. I actually teach context clues instead of vocab. I don't want them to memorize the words as much as I would like them to be able to figure out a strange word when they come across it in reading. However, the exposure to new words helps them on their essays.

4. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Apr 6, 2008

I got the idea from another thread to play Pictionary. I do this with a lot of our math and science words.

5. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Apr 6, 2008

Try Power Vocabulary. Check it out with this link:

Power Vocabulary

It explains the basic methods. PM me or post here if you have more questions.

6. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Apr 7, 2008

In elementary school I like writing stories using the vocab words. Not sure if that would be as effective in highschool.

7. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Apr 7, 2008

We actually just tried a new vocab technique today and my fifth graders were totally into it. They broke off into pairs, and each pair had to look up each of our eight vocab words and write down the definitions in their L.A. textbook glossary. Then, they had to come up with a sentence for each word. They would also have to come up with a "dramatic presentation" for each word...I gave them about 30 minutes to get ready for their "presentations", during which one student would read their sentence and the other would act it out in front of the class. I was somewhat skeptical at first because my kids are very immature and goofy, but their presentations came out great!!!