Ideas for last (short) day before winter break?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by robinsky, Dec 14, 2008.

1. robinsky

robinsky Rookie

Dec 14, 2008

Friday is the last day before winter break, and in my district it's a short day; each period is only 35 minutes long. I teach 7th grade math, and I'm giving an end of unit test on Thursday, so we won't be learning anything new, plus a lot of kids will be absent. So, what should I do on that last day? Party? Math games? Any good ideas?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2008

Kids love rebus puzzles - I have a book of them called Word Winks, but they go by a lot of names. Once or twice a year when I have time to fill I fire up my department's document camera and let kids try and figure them out. I would advise some kind of "academic game" as opposed to a party, though.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 14, 2008

I'm having a math party. Before they can eat any given item, they have to solve a problem involving the item. For instance, what is the surface area of the top of an oreo cookike? If there are 10 red, 12 blue, 6 yellow and 4 brown M&M's in this bag, what is the probability of pulling out an yellow one? How much soda does this cup hold? Be creative, have fun, and do math :D

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2008

Actually, we end with trimester exams; mine is Thursday. So I'm reviewing their little tails off!

But on the last day before Thanksgiving, I gave my kids 4 logic puzzles(I found them online.) I told each class that these were the rules:

- the could work alone or as individuals. Two of my classes ended up with one individual. I quietly asked a nice group to "adopt" the singles.
    - they could use any method they chose to solve the problem(s)
    - if ONE person per class got the correct answer to any ONE of the 4 problems, every kid in the class would receive ___ extra credit points. (Four, I think???)

They had a great time, they worked on problem solving skills, and everyone got the extra credit.

I think this may be the site I used: http://www.braingle.com/Logic-Grid.html In fact, if you use their search feature, several puzzles come up under "Santa."

6. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Dec 17, 2008

What about Power Math super speed games?

7. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Dec 17, 2008

What about a Christmas movie? I do not see why not.

8. robinsky

robinsky Rookie

Dec 17, 2008

What are Power Math super speed games?

The period is only 35 minutes long, not really enough time for a movie, plus I can't use a "Christmas" movie in a public classroom, anyway.

I really liked the idea of having a party with math problems to do. I bought a lot of oreos and juice boxes at Costco and I'll make up some sheets with volume and surface area and percents based on the snacks. Thanks for the great idea, mmswm!

9. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Dec 17, 2008

I work in a public school system and we are allowed Christmas movies. Plus the libary has plenty of movies ranging from 10-30mins all the way up to the long ones that last 45 mins plus. You can always get a 30min movie out that would last the whole time or show them half the movie the day before the last day and then finish it on the last day.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2008

How about some Soduku puzzles?

11. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Dec 17, 2008

Get some dollar store gifts and wrap them up. Tell your kids to sit in a circle. Hand out a few of the gifts randomly but tell them not to open them. Instead, tell them you'll be reading the following Christmas story. Whenever they hear the word "right" they pass the gift to the right. Whenever they hear the word "left" they pass the gift to the left. (We played this game at a baby shower and it was a huge hit. Everyone was cracking up. High school kids would really dig it.

Here's the story:

Christmas was almost here, and Mother RIGHT was finishing the Christmas baking.

Father RIGHT, Sue RIGHT, and Billy RIGHT returned from their last-minute Christmas errands.

"There's not much LEFT to be done," said Father RIGHT as he came into the kitchen.

"Did you leave the basket of food at church?" asked Mother RIGHT.

"I LEFT it RIGHT where you told me to," said Father RIGHT.

"I'm glad my shopping is done," said Billy RIGHT. "I don't have any money LEFT."

The hall telephone rang, and Susan RIGHT LEFT to answer it.

She rushed back and told the family "Aunt Tillie RIGHT LEFT a package for us RIGHT on Grandma RIGHT's porch.

I'll go over there RIGHT now and get it." she said as she LEFT in a rush.

Father RIGHT LEFT the kitchen and brought in the Christmas tree.

By the time Susan RIGHT returned, Mother RIGHT, Father RIGHT, and Billy RIGHT had begun trimming the tree.

The entire RIGHT family sang carols as they finished the decorating.

Then they LEFT all the presents arranged under the tree and went to bed, hoping they had selected the RIGHT gifts for their family.

Now I hope you have the RIGHT present for yourself, because that's all that's LEFT of our story.....

Except to wish you a Merry Christmas....Isn't that RIGHT?

12. loveforquantum

loveforquantum Rookie

Dec 17, 2008

Zoom:

We did this in my class too, and they absolutely loved it. but it doesnt take more than 10 minutes, so you'll have to have something else to do too.

I have games in my class room such as chess, those chinese puzzle things, some playing cards. We are pretty much going to do whatever happens. if we even have school on friday! (we're expecting 6-18 inches of snow..!)