ideas for independent reading

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by fun2teach, Aug 2, 2008.

1. fun2teach

fun2teach New Member

Aug 2, 2008

I'm looking for a way to get my students excited about independent reading time. I'm thinking each day of the week will be a different them. For example, Monday-Munching Monday (bring in a snack to eat while you read Tuesday-bring in a stuffed animal to read with. Does anyone do anything like this or have any ideas of what I could do each day?

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 2, 2008

Wow that would be a lot of parent participation. What would happen to the child that brings the snack on stuffie day?

4. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I think this sounds like fun! I think using alliteration for each day is nice: Munching Monday(you could always provide graham crackers or ritz for those who didn't bring in something to munch), Teddy* Tuesday(*or other stuffed animal, if they forget you could give them a beanie baby to borrow), Wacky Wednesday(try to read with the book upside down...my second grades love to do this, they think they're hot stuff), Therapeutic Thursday(you could play relaxing music while they read), and Floor-It Friday(they can sit or lay on the floor while they read.)

Not sure if that is what you were looking for but some ideas I came up with.

5. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

gab, I think this sounds great! I like your ideas. I think my class will like this too. Thanks!

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

I kinda like this idea....although I might have to modify it some. My kids already get to choose a spot on the floor so that wouldn't be a treat for them. And the upside down reading wont fly in my school so I would have to think of something else. But thanks for these ideas. I can also use this as leverage to get those readers who like to play duing reading time a reason to read in order to participate. Hmmm??