Ideas for "I can Clubs"

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by zoey'smom, Aug 12, 2009.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

Last year I started the "I can Clubs" I made posters of each club and hung it on the wall. The clubs consisted of tasks including tying shoes, knowing their phone number, knowing their address, knowing the alphabet, writing their names, and counting to 100. The child can become a member by performing the task. They get a chance every Friday. I would do it during free choice centers. They would then write their name on the poster of the task they completed. I also had the ones that could tie shoes, sign my white canvas shoes that I wear every Friday. (Idea I found here.) I had all but one who could tie their shoes by the end of last year. They all wanted to sign my shoes. They also loved to find their names on my shoes.

Well anyway, I would like to make more clubs, but I don't want to get too many. I want some challenging and some easier. This is what I have so far:

I can tie my shoes
    I can say my phone number
    I can say my address
    I can write my first name
    I can write my last name
    I an tell you my colors
    I can read my color words
    I can count to 100
    I can recognize my letters

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? Again I would like to thank whoever posted this idea last year.

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

I love this idea!
    Hopefully you can build in some classtime to practice since not all kids get a lot of parent time at home to study.

How about:

Say the Pledge of Allegience?

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

I can punch in my lunch pin # (if your school has a pin number system)

5. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

I have parent volunteers I use for those who don't get the help at home.

6. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

This is such an awesome idea! I love the one for tying their shoes. I wonder what I could add for first grade =)

7. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 12, 2009

this is a super idea!! what about I can read all the sight words?

8. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

Maybe their math facts addition and subtraction.

9. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Aug 12, 2009

I love this idea! I made post cards on Vista Print for I can recognize my upper-case letters, I can recognize my lower-case letters, counting to 100, and I can write my first and last name. I was just going to send them home, but I'd like to make the posters also. Do you have a picture of what yours look like?

10. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

I wish I did. I didn't take any pictures last year. Last year at the most I had 12 kids, (I started with 9), so my posters were made on a small construction paper. I hand written the titles and drew simple pictures. This year I am going to have 17 so I need to make them bigger. I started making them today. I am going to make them on the computer using clipart. I will print it out and glue it to a big piece construction paper or poster board. I am not sure how much wall space I will have. I might put them in the hall this year, with a title Are you a member? or The Kindergarten Clubs.

11. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 12, 2009

Tonight I found a poster "Soar to new heights" so I think I might incorporate that into an astronaut goals board. Each kid will have a t-shirt/jumpsuit cutout and they can earn a patch for each "mission" they complete.

12. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Aug 13, 2009

Good idea!!!! I don't want to do the astronaut theme, but you could almost do this with anything!!! Any other ideas??? I like the idea of a patch, or button, or award....hmmm.......

13. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 14, 2009

I finished making my posters for the "I Can Clubs" today. I made them in PowerPoint and then printed them off. I glued them on big construction paper and I think I might Laminate them. These are the clubs I decided to go with:

I can tie my shoes
    I can write my first name
    I can write my last name
    I can count to 100
    I can say my Phone number
    I can say my address
    I can recognize all my colors
    I can recognize all the capital letters
    I can recognize all the lower case letters
    I can read all the color and number words

I also made a poster that said:
    The Kindergarten Clubs
    Are you a member?

I am going to start with 10 and then maybe add some more later. I was thinking of I can count by 2's, 5's and 10's. I also like the I can say the pledge and also the sight words.
    Thanks for your input.

14. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Aug 14, 2009

Ok, thanks for all the great ideas! I just made a lawn sign on VP that I'm going to put at the top that says
    Kindergarten Honor Roll

Are you a member?
    I'm not sure how I'm going to put their names on the wall yet, but I have a bunch of postcards already made up that I planned to send home once they mastered the skill!

15. skerns

skerns Companion

Aug 14, 2009

We had kids one year that couldn't do anything by themselves. :mad: So we made an "I Can" train. Some of the cars were

I can:
    open my own snack
    peel my banana
    Throw away my own trash
    walk in a straight line
    pull up my own pants
    zip my coat

I wish that year we could have put "wipe my own bum" :lol: But anyway, it turned out cute. You could put some math concepts:

I can pattern, sort by color, shape, graph, etc.

We are a Bible based school so we also had "say my memory verses".

16. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2009

I love this idea! Do you leave the posters up year-round? I can't think of anywhere I have room to hang posters that all my kids can reach...I have very wall space....hmmm....

17. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

I was thinking about that too and came up with a perfect solution. I'm going to put them on my low cabinets -- one for each cabinet =)

18. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 14, 2009

Yes, I leave them up all year. This year I think I will hang them up in the hall. I have a whole wall I can use. Last year I especially used the "I can tie my Shoes poster". When someone came to me to have their shoes tied, I would tell them to look for someone who is part of the "I Can Tie My shoes club". They love helping each other. Eventually they would stop asking me and asked each other.