Ideas for how to organize listening center books and tapes?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jtbrowne, Jul 12, 2008.

1. jtbrowne

jtbrowne New Member

Jul 12, 2008

I am a first year teacher, and I have spent the summer trying to organize my room. I have been lucky with everything else, but I am running into a wall trying to find a good organization tool to organize my listening books and tapes. Right now i have them in ziploc bags, but I want to change it. Any ideas would be a great help!!

Thanks!

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 12, 2008

Not much help here. Mine are in ziplock bags, too, or the snap bags they came in to begin with.

4. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

Hi, I have mine in ziploc bags like you so I would love to hear some thoughts. I do not have many though. What about in a 2 drawer file, one of those cheap plastic ones. The tapes/cd's can be in one drawer and the books in the other. I guess it all depends on how many you have. I wonder if a DVD holder type thing would work? The other could be to get one of those mailbox type holders with all the slots and out them in that and you can alphabetize them. I am not sure this is tough. Maybe someone has an idea?:help:

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 12, 2008

This is a budget-buster, but it's awesome!

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|searchResults~~p|EE216~~.jsp

6. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

I used to have the same dilemma. I saw this on a website somewhere. Buy a shower curtain rod and closet rod hangers (those that hold the rod up for support--plastic or metal) and place these in a closet where you can have easy access to your books that will be hanging off of plastic bags that have the plastic hooks attached to them. You can get these at the teacher store or Scholastic. Also, you can use hangers for pants (with the clips on them) until you can buy your bags. (does this make sense?)

This eliminated sooooo much clutter for me!!

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 13, 2008

So I have audio books on CDs that I rip from cds from the library. I think I have about 30 now. My process is a bit complicated, but I'll see if you can follow.

If the book has 4 cds, then I take four cd envelopes, cut off the top flap to all but one, and glue them on top of each other, like a stack of pancakes, with the flap envelope on the top (so the flap can bend over the whole set). When it dries it looks like a little acordian that can't expand. I photocopy the cover of the audio cd and glue on the front, and run it through the laminator. Then I slit the top open, so I can slide the four cds in. The flap bends open all the open slots, so the cds don't fall out.

I found a cd tower that is entirely open to store them in-there is no little slots on the inside, so I can stack my thick cd 'cases' in it. I keep this by my desk so students can't just grab an audio cd.

I have a poster on a bulletin board that has two pockets. One says 'in', and one says 'out'. I got on amazon and printed out the covers to the books that I have on cd. They are a little smaller than a credit card. After laminating them, I put them in the 'in' pocket. I put red dots on the back of the AR books (you could even put the levels on the back if you want). Then when a kid wants to check one out, they go to the 'in' pocket, look for the book they want, and then bring it to me. I check it out to them, and put the ticket in the 'out' pocket. When it's checked back in, it goes to the 'in' pocket.

Whew. Any questions?

8. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 13, 2008

Wow, Jem, that is a great system. I bet it took a while to set up, but it's worth it now, huh?

I don't have any of my own books on tape. My school has a resource room where I can check them out. I'm hoping to start my own collection this year. These ideas have been great!

9. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

Ok, I knew this thread was in here somewhere - I came up with what might be a solution so wanted to bring the thread back to life....

I just bought a clothes drying rack at Target. (The kind that expands and stands upright) It's metal, not wood so should be a bit stronger. I plan on setting this up in a corner of my room and hanging my books on tape on it. Right now they are all in ziplock bags (like everyone else on here). I'm going to invest in some of those hangers with clips on them and hang them on the clothes rack off of the rods on the rack (there's probably 3 layers and it'll be two sided. I am up to 2.5 milk crates full which has begun to take up too much room. Hopefully this helps. (If not, I have a clothes rack for my laundry room!)

10. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 26, 2008

If you have cd's you could get just some plain old folders and use one pocket inside for the books and one for the cd's, and then store them in a plastic bin, or a file folder box or something else like that. HTH:)