Ideas for homework help with non-English speaking parents

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by waterfall, Nov 16, 2012.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2012

One of my students parents was asking how she can get homework help for her son because she doesn't speak English and therefore doesn't understand the homework herself. The student is pretty low and already has modified homework. I have committee or team meetings before school and I tutor or run activities after school, so I'm out of ideas. This student will be in a tutoring group starting right after Thanksgiving, but we have set things we have to do (it's funded by an outside company) and we can't spend time on homework. His siblings are younger, so no help there...I don't want to just tell this parent I have no ideas! Any creative solutions?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 16, 2012

What's the home language, and what sort of homework are we talking about?

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2012

Can you send an example home? Maybe complete the first problem or two with the student so mom has a model.

Try sending home a step by step with the student.

Suggest to mom to look for a high school or middle school student that would be willing to help out.

Is there a way to use color coding with the assignment to help mom? When the student needs to write a sentence, maybe use one color vs when the student needs to just write a word.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Nov 16, 2012

Find students in clubs at your local HS that need to do service activities. Perhaps you can contact the adviser of the club and they'll find a student willing to help with the homework.