Ideas for Exchange?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 4, 2012.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 4, 2012

I want to coordinate some kind of classroom exchange this year, but the creative juices are just not flowing. For most postcard exchange my big 'ole state is always taken :p. I want to do something like we participated in once that was a Gingerbread Exchange, where the classes from different places all decorated a gingerbread character--but I don't want to wait until December?

Can you think of something back-to-school/Kindergarten-related that we could do? I was trying to think of a connection like to Chicka Chicka Boom Boom or something....any ideas?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2012

A fall leaf exchange is nice...classroom collect and press fall leaves from their area...send to participating classes, maybe witha note describing the geography,climate of the sending school's location, maybe a photo of the tree fom which the leaves came...Boom boom all the leaves fell off a tree somewhere!

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

Cute idea, Kindercowgirl!

If you're wanting to start in the Fall, I agree...something more Fall-related.

I found a very old "hairbow" chain (eh, I hate that word) letter and I didn't participate in that one, but I did participate in a kitchen towel exchange & ornament exchange...the anticipation killed me!
    Just mentioning...your post brought it to mind.

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

ooooh...how about decorating a little school house?? Windows could be placed on the school house and students could be peering out through them.

How did the Gingerbread one work?

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 16, 2012

That's a cute idea too!

The Gingerbread one had each class decorating the cut-out for their state. Since I'm in Texas we put on a Texans tee the kids made, cowboy hat, holding peppers, etc. On the back we did facts about the state. The ones we got were soooo cute-the kids loved to see me with an envelope in my hands because they knew we were getting another Gingerbread.

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

that would be cute too!

oh, and about the school house...you could put fun facts about your school...for example: Every other Thursday, our school lunch is Hamburgers. Our school hosts a Fall Festival every year etc...

8. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Jul 20, 2012

I'd be all in on this!

I think it'd be neat to share things from our school/ area. I know Virginia isnt huge, but where I am in Northern VA, is completely different from southern VA (or even somewhere two hours from here!)

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2012

Those sound like cute ideas....

10. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 21, 2012

I've heard of classes doing a letter exchange to go with Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. You could decorate the letter with things that start with it or even things about your state that relate to your letter (and you would only have to find 26 participants! :thumb:)

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 21, 2012

I have an idea, what about reading your favorite book or poem and recording it as a video, audio, or an audio with graphics (powerpoint). I'm thinking the books would be the kind that the kids memorize easily or have some kind of refrain that the kids chime in on.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 21, 2012

Tasha-I love that! It would be so much easier than having people mail things. Can I steal that idea?

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 21, 2012

Steal away, then it could go into a listening center ;)

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 21, 2012

A few years ago I took part in a stuffed animal (classroom mascot) exchange. The other 2 or 3 classes were lower elementary, but my 4th graders loved it, too. I still have the scrapbook in my library and the kids I have now enjoy looking at it.

15. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 24, 2012

I would be all for this. I did a postcard exchange a few years ago when I taught 1st grade and the kids absolutely loved it. I have wanted to get in on something since then, but always miss my state.

16. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 24, 2012

I appreciate everyone's suggestions! I am posted a thread in the "Connecting Classrooms" section-if you're interested I'm going with the idea of digitally sharing stories/poems from your class. Just let me know if you want to join us! ;)