Ideas for Engaging Group Activities- Middle School Autism Classroom

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by NYteacher2, Sep 11, 2010.

1. NYteacher2

NYteacher2 New Member

Sep 11, 2010

Hi Everyone! I am teaching a 5/6/7 LLD classroom this year and am looking for ideas for group activities. My classroom is very small at the moment (4 students, 3 of which are on the spectrum) but will be growing as new students are brought in from out of district. I recently made the switch from teaching K-1 LLD and am having some difficulty coming up with age appropriate group activities. I am especially interested in hands-on activities that include some sort of sensory or movement as I feel these will help keep my kids engaged. Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

3. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Sep 11, 2010

How about a classroom relaxation period? I saw a really neat presentation at our state conference by a middle school teacher who did deep breathing exercises, visualization, and yoga with her kids. I am doing a modified version of this after our lunch and gym time (I teach elementary, though) and I love it! Helps us calm down and refocus before we begin our afternoon, plus being able to calm yourself down is a great life skill.

4. angelfaces

angelfaces Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

I am also teaching a 5/6 classroom with children on the Autism Spectrum and I also have a few with emotional/behavioral disorders. I have been using the think social and thinking about you, thinking about me curriculum by Michelle Garcia Winner. We do the group activities everyday after lunch. They are all hands on activities or whole group exercises. The kids seem to enjoy it because it is different than just ELA or math even though alot of the activities include a writing piece.