Ideas for Discussion Lessons

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Johnjoel, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Johnjoel

Johnjoel Companion

Feb 13, 2012

Hey all,

I currently teach a 3rd grade Lit Circle bunch and was wondering if any of you had any ideas for a one-off lesson which purpose would be to hone their discussion skills. This is my 3rd year in 3rd grade, and I have to admit, this is a tough lesson to sketch out!

Thank you!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 13, 2012

One thing I taught my 3rd graders to do was to respond specifically to a comment that came before theirs. So, when we were discussing, they had to start their own comments with something like, "I agree with Jonathan because..." or "I feel the way Sammy feels about ....". I also think you can enrich discussions by guiding them toward connections - text to self, text to world, text to text.

4. bondo

bondo Cohort

Feb 15, 2012

We have three rules that help guide our discussions. They are imperatives that help students think critically and advance discussion. They are the following:
    1) Students must comment, answer, or ask citing or referencing from the text.
    2) Students must comment, answer, or ask in response to teacher's or another student's remark's.
    3) Students must comments, answer, or ask in relation to a previous discussion, reading, or something that is or has happened in their life.

Sorry that was so formal, I do not explain it to the kids that way. It was the best way for me to explain to you all. Hope it helps!

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2012

I did a mock book club with 2 students for the class to see. One student and myself pretended to be "bad" book club members. We answered questions with 1 word answer, tried to talk about recess, didn't look at or listen to the other person, etc. We weren't prepared. The other girl pretended to be prepared and tried to talk to us about the book. Of course the kids thought it was hysterical but afterwards we stop and made a list of all the things we noticed happening. Then the next day the students and I modeled a good book club meeting where we all participated and responded to each other, referred to the text, etc. And we made another column on the chart about we noticed. I hung the chart up in the classroom for them to see.