Ideas for demo lesson in 6th grade classroom with dyslexic students

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by Manuela, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Manuela

Manuela New Member

Sep 5, 2009

Ideas for language arts demo lesson in 6th grade classroom

Dear Teachers,
    Help! I am so nervous about an upcoming demo lesson that I can't decide what to do. I will do a 30 minute language arts lesson for students with a 4th grade reading level. My idea is to do a read aloud, have them sketch picture of what they visualize from the reading, read a second time partner reading, and then have them write a summary and share. What do you think? I thought I should keep it direct and simple. Let me know what you think!

3. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Dec 31, 2009

How did your demo lesson go?

4. Manuela

Manuela New Member

Jan 1, 2010

Thanks for the reply

I ended up doing a demo lesson on visualization using a poem called "Oranges" by Gary Soto. The principal called me in to her office afterwards and we had a very pleasant chat. She was very complimentary. However, I was not offered the job. Later it occurred to me that the principal had been doing most of the talking... I have learned this about interviews...no matter how well you think it is going...if the interviewer is talking more than you are, or is talking rather than asking you questions, that person is not going to hire you! I did learn a few new things about dyslexia though! Intriguing. Do you teach dyslexic students?

5. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Jan 31, 2010

I teach two students who are dyslexic. They are mainstreamed, so the dyslexic teacher pulls them out for 30 minutes a day.