Ideas for collecting homework.

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by cunwokorie, Aug 11, 2007.

1. cunwokorie

cunwokorie New Member

Aug 11, 2007

:) I am a brand new teacher, and school in this area will be resuming in a couple of weeks. I will be teaching 7th grade Reading/Language Arts and my question for teacher more experienced than myself to ponder is this: what is a good way to collect homework, so that is does not become to cumbersome? (i.e. do you use homework bins; have the students put their homework in a particular location) What are your thoughts and advice?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2007

I have students place their homework in a mesh basket on the corner of my desk. It seems to work fine for me and I'll continue it next year.

4. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 11, 2007

Usually I just check off homework while the students are completing their warm-ups. Whenever I am going to have the kids turn in the assignment for grading a student helper collects all papers, puts them in alpha order (its no too hard they have student numbers), clips the stack together, and puts the stack in my im-box for that class. I also have the kids put a stick note on each assignment that notes the assignment name, date collected, and what students did not turn in the assignment.

There is also an out-box for each class which is where I place graded papers ready to returned.

I leave all papers in the in-box untill the end of the day then I transfer them to a set of folders in my bag. Each class has two folders: to be graded and to be returned. As soon as I come in each day I place all graded papers in the out box for each class.

5. Jen

Jen Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

collecting assignments

I have the students pass the papers to the front, then a student helper collects them and gives them to me or puts them in that classes folder to be recorded. After they are recorded ( in a day or two) I have a student helper pass the papers back to their owners.

:up: Jen

6. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 12, 2007

I had two basket towers; one for "in" and one for "out."

Students walked into the classroom and put their homework in their class's basket BEFORE the tardy bell rang (I did not accept late work and still don't) and picked up graded homework/quizzes, etc, in the OTHER tower. It saved a lot of time, because I never had to pick papers up or distribute them.

After the first few weeks, you don't even have to remind the students; they know and they love the system. And it cut down the tardies because if they were late, I wouldn't take their paper.

7. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 12, 2007

I have four folders outside my door, one for each class I teach. Homework is due in the folders before homeroom starts. (I have a morning planning period and it allows me to check and record their homework right away.)

8. TeenLiteracy

TeenLiteracy Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Something I picked up last year from Sandy LaBelle's book Teaching Smarter is to fold a set of collected papers "hot-dog" style, then rubberband them together and stand them upright in a box until I could get to them.

This helped me to find them easily instead of losing them under other papers or books. They also became more manageable, because the stack was more firm and easier to hold.

9. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 12, 2007

great idea. thanks. That book sounds interesting.

10. TeenLiteracy

TeenLiteracy Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

It's a great book, and so is the sequel, Teaching Smarter II. I heard the author speak at an inservice last year. Her ideas are extremely practical, and adapted from effective business and management practices.

She has ideas on improving the quality of student assigments, reducing tardiness, reducing planning time, and many other facets of teaching.

The books are only available through her own website, and since I can't post links yet, you'll have to do a Google search on her name.

Highly recommended!

11. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 12, 2007

All assignments get turned into the tray marked for that class when they come in.. All papers have their name, alpha number, date, and assignment. I do pretty much what Brendan does, but then it goes immediately in my brief case. I only have the students list the numbers that are missing on a sticky. I have used this process for years and it works well. One teacher in our building staples the entire set together.

12. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Aug 12, 2007

I walk around the room and collect homework while students are doing their bell work. I also have them get out their class calendar, and if they turn in homework I'll stamp that day's box on the calendar. This way, no student can claim they turned in their homework when they didn't, or accuse me of "losing" it. They turn in the calendars at the end of each month and get a special treat if they have all of their stamps!

13. shelceygirl

shelceygirl Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

My writing students turn in "big" projects, so we don't have daily work to turn in. Missing one writing project can make a horrible dent in one's grade, so turning the writing in to me needs to be a big deal.

I take the time to have each student bring his/her work to me. I start at the top of my roll sheet and call out names. I can check to make sure names are on papers, make sure the history of the writing is attached and I can apply pressure to those who have nothing for me. If they do not have an assignment to turn in, they still have to come see me and we have a quiet chat. Students at my school have one late-homework pass per quarter per class, so we talk about how that will be used and turned in the next day (signed by a parent).

I have very high turn-in rates. Typically, I have very few phone calls home to make when assignments are not turned in.

14. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

Colored laminated pocket folders

I have a different color for each class period. Each class has two folders one for work to be graded and one for tests. I use "bundle" bands (large rubber bands) around the outside of the folders. Last year I bought a large basket for the students to turn their work into and at the end of the class period I would move the work from the basket to their folder. I use stacking trays to return the work to the students. Again, each period has their own and each class has one person responsible for handing out the graded assignments. I hand back the tests myself. This works for me and helps me to stay organized. I take one or two, if it's smaller classes, folders home each night to grade and record. The notebooks for the classes are placed in a filing crate and I grade them at school. I've no desire to carry that much home and it's just easier to grade them while I'm there.

15. o84blondie

o84blondie Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Out box question...

When you use an "out box", do you let kids go through it and find their graded papers? If so, what about students who might look at other people's grades....

16. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 12, 2007

Kids do not return anything in my class. I pass back papers when my kids are doing in-class assignments.

17. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 13, 2007

I am a 5-8 grade teacher, self contained, and I also teach the high school math. (We are a small school) I have one large stackable bin for my 5th through 8th graders subjects, a red bin for late work, and a separate yellow bin for the High School math work. I allow work to be one day late, but at a huge price, the students highest possible grade is 50%. The students turn in all homework at the beginning of class, if they forget, it is turned in "late" to the red bin. I pass back most papers, but daily and pop-quizzes are graded in class and returned at the time they are graded. All students will be on an alpha-identity program in my class next year, so only their number will be on most work turned in, for anonymity (sp). ~SK