Ideas for chatty bunch of 5th graders

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by stac4742, Sep 29, 2010.

1. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Sep 29, 2010

Hello everyone!!

I am needing some suggestions for dealing with very talkative students. I do provide them times to interact and work collaboratively, but they just won't stop. (I've been teaching for 6 yrs. and have'nt had this concern before this BIG)
    I have 2 periods of them and I have tried a few things that have worked a little such as:

-moving their seat from the group for excessive talking after several warnings
    -seating the class in a U-shape
    -sitting out for recess for an allotted time
    -having them complete "Think Sheets"
    -calling their parents after school

I would be so appreciative for any suggestions, or words of advice. THANK YOU!
    :rolleyes:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2010

I would have them whisper all at the same time to remind them of an acceptable noise level.
    Maybe play the student-teacher game.
    Maybe give points to quiet tables, the winner gets to choose one problem to skip for homework...
    Try making your desks in Ls or Hs or pairs...
    Try a strike program. Three strikes you're in your seat and quiet. No more group work that morning.
    Write a word on the board and erase letters. When all the letters are gone, they lose something. Or add letters when they are being to talkative and then give an extra homework problem or quiet minute at the end of the day...

Sometimes we get a chatty group, it happens. Don't let it bother you too much, just keep reminding them of the expectation.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2010

How about giving tangible rewards to the ones who are behaving? Walk around the room with skittles or tootsie rolls or something. Quietly leave one with children who are following the rules and thank them for doing the right thing.

5. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Sep 29, 2010

I understand totally stac4742. My group this year is very chatty as well. Super talkative. I f i stop instruction for a milisecond to breath they take the opportunity to talk. It is driving me bananas, so Hopefully we continue to get some really great suggestions as to what to do. I can hardly get through instruction with all the interruptions. And no i dont expect perfect quiet angels but these are extreme talkers. I have tried sitting them out at recess too but it doesnt really work. it wears off the next day.

I give out tickets and giving them to the students that are not talking kinda works. but it takes a while for them to catch on to the fact that i am giving out tickets. So it still waste instructional time.

6. Riley20

Riley20 New Member

Oct 5, 2010

Buckeyes!

My teammate and I each have two containers in our rooms, labeled for each homeroom. Each of us has a huge container of buckeyes, too. Each time our students, as a whole, are behaving and staying on task, we give their class a small handful of buckeyes. Periodically, we combine containers. The class that fills a container first wins some sort of prize (candy, movie, extra recess, etc.). Seems to be working so far!

7. txteach26

txteach26 Rookie

Jan 2, 2011

I love the buckeye idea! Thanks! :)

8. dudeteacher

dudeteacher Rookie

Jan 8, 2011

I've been using something called "Steps or Reps" with my 5th graders. It's a visual to show how their day is going. I found it from a group called The Positive Engagement Project. They have some fun ideas and everything is free. You can find them on google....they are a non profit group that is maintained by teachers....trying to help teachers.