Ideas for Centers

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by scrapaholic, Aug 18, 2007.

1. scrapaholic

scrapaholic Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

I am in my first year of teaching....only been in school 2 days so far...and I am really needing to set up some centers in my classroom. Any suggestions for good centers for a 3rd grade class??? Thanks!!!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 18, 2007

I posted these before, but here are some of the things I have done or come up with for next year... I try to be pretty simplistic. I don't like making file folder games and things-- I don't have enough time or volunteers for all that.

Centers don't need to be complicated.

-Do word sorts on index cards with spelling/phonics patterns

-making words activities with mystery words

-partner reading

-small groups doing reader's theatre scripts

-playing boggle (I have changed this game, as it's pretty hard to find decent words, and they just use the dice, shake them up and dump them out)

-have the kids dictate sentences to each other and correct them-- they can get points for words spelled correctly, using conventions, etc. They lose points for the same things and need to write misspelled words 5 times.

-recording books on tape for their peers

-doing computer games if you have them in the classroom

-writing in journals

-silent reading

-matching games with synonyms, homphones, antonyms, etc. Another good matching game is to take words that look alike like quite and quiet, which kids mix up, and they need to match those pairs and read them both

-they can practice spelling words with one another

-read with expression (have a passage to practice for fluency- read it sad, mad, happy, sarcastically, etc.- I just made that up so don't know how it would work)

-playing a board game that involves a lot of reading, like trival pursuit for kids, Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego, or any games specifically meant for reading comprehension if you have them, my class loves Apples to Apples and sometimes I use that as a center (it's analogies) any word game is great, like scrabble, but they have to be good spellers. I use scrabble and upwords pieces for making words activities.

- listen to a book on tape

-write a prompt to a photograph or piece of art

I can't think of any others right now, but those were off the top of my head. I bought a set of centers, but they involved so much cutting out I have never prepared them. I just do pretty simple things that involve as few supplies as I can

My math centers this year will be:

Math journal (problem solving, critical thinking, story problems with explanation and illustration, etc.)

Math Labs (hands on investigations, manipulatives, etc.)

Timed fact practice with a partner

Independent skills work (worksheets... boring but our curriculum doesn't do much practice.)

Games from the curriculum or maybe some other games I have if they are relevant. If you have a few decks of cards and a dozen dice, you could probably think of at least 10 games to play with just those supplies. I just make them up. Sometimes the kids will make up a math game also. I tell them they have to be adding, multiplying or whatever skill I want them to practice. If they invent a good game, they get to share it with the class and we all try it out.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 18, 2007

My favorite thing to do is to think of games we grew up with and then modify them to match the supplies you have and the lesson you need to teach. P.S. Tape makes a terrific gameboard on the table for tic tac toe, connect four and other games you might think of with simple setups. I also like to take 2 games and combine them somehow. It's just a little thinking out of the box but doing something fun yet simple can be exciting to kids if it isn't something they've played or heard of before. Shhh..don't tell them they actually know these games.

5. Mommy2wad

Mommy2wad Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Some of my centers include:

-puzzle center
    -a writing center (where they can write and illustrate a story or write a letter to a friend)
    -scoop and spell center (get a clean ice cream container and ice cream scoop, add some letter tiles, then have the children scoop out letters and see how many words they can make.
    -computer center
    -spell checkers (the students play a game of checkers, but before they can make a move, they have to spell one of their spelling words from the week correctly)

These are just some of my centers. I also use some of these for indoor recess.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 18, 2007

Write on popcicle sticks to play a game or write the answer.

Examples:
    Compound words (write one word and have the student brainstorm the other half of the word).
    Fill in the blank vocabulary words.
    Contractions
    What punction belongs in the sentence?
    Story prompts

We play a game called "sorry." I put the spelling words for the week on the popcicle sticks using invisible ink. The student draws the word, uses the decoder light and quickly puts it down. They spell the word to thier partner or group. If they get it right, they keep the stick. Watch out. There is a stick labeled "Sorry!" and if you get it, you have to put back all the sticks. Nobody ever wins because the "sorry" stick goes back too but they either never figured that out or didn't care.

7. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 18, 2007

Ooh, thank you guys for responding to this post! I was about to ask the same question. :) Lots of great ideas.

Mommy2wad- I really like the Scoop and Spell idea! I think I am going to use it for one of my Week 1 centers.

Thanks again!

8. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

9. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Aug 19, 2007

GREAT website. Thanks for posting it!

As of right now, I don't plan on doing center with my students. I plan on making a lot of file folder games/activities (math & reading for now) for them to do as a "What Should I Do Now" option.