Ideas for Back to School Night Projects??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by JAZ1, Sep 10, 2006.

1. JAZ1

JAZ1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

I am currently student-teaching in a first grade classroom and I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for projects that the students could do for when there parents come in at night. Last year my cooperating teaching did "Bag People". Each student would create a bag person that looks like themselves and sit it on there desk. So when the parents came in that night, it would look like there children sitting at their desk. . . . I do not want to use the same thing as last year. . . any ideas??? thanks a bunch!!! :)

3. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2006

I teach 5th- so this may be too hard for your kids...

My kids did a "Guess Who" Paper. They had to give as many descriptive details about themselves, and put it into paragraph form. We then went to the computer lab & they typed them up. I am going to attach them to construction paper, and then when you pull the paper up, you will see a photo of the student.

The art teacher at our school had the kids draw self portraits, and they then made a bio poem to go underneath them.

4. Jan Jan

Jan Jan Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

We had open house last week. I took digital pictures of each student and made a First Grade Menu with Appetizers listed as morning meeting, journal writing, etc. Entrees were guided reading, phonics, math, etc. and desserts were field trips, Thanksgiving Dinner, etc. I used the large construction paper as a mat and die cut small shapes and the students made their pattern out of two different shapes & two different colors around the menu. I laminated each menu which had their pic, first grade, school, teacher and school year. It was a big hit!!! Also take your digital pictures and make a looping power point of their pictures and action shots from the classroom.

5. blessed2teach

blessed2teach Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

We just had our Parent Night last Thursday. Each student "wrote" a note to his/her parents listing at least 3 things to see in our classroom. I attached a photo of each child to the note and this was on each desk along with my Parent Packet and a little gift.
    I found a poem online about parents as teachers too. I copied it on bright yellow paper and attached one copy to cello bags. I put an apple in each bag (with blue paper confetti at the bottom) and tied it with a red plaid bow.
    This is the poem: An apple for the teacher
    is really nothing new
    except when you remember
    parents are teachers too!
    I also added a little note to the bottom of the poem about looking forward to a great year working together in first grade.

Another idea that I tried for the first time this year: I took several photos of the children working and playing in first grade. I randomly arranged the photos very simply on brightly colored construction paper and put our collection of magnetic letters all around/on the display. I put signs at each end of this counter saying "First Grade in Action". After my presentation I invited the parents to tour our room and take a photo or two of their child from the display.
    This was a very popular spot in our room!

Hope this helps!

6. Jan Jan

Jan Jan Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

Open House is a good time to present a Wish List. I used a pocket chart and made index cards with things our classroom needed. Some of the things are free or very inexpensive. Examples: old magazines, carpet squares for reading corner, stationary, envelopes, M & Ms, tatoos, your child's favorite book, gently used children's books, small toys from fast food chains, a book and tape for the listening center. I made fourteen wish cards and I only had two left after Open House. I've received magazines, a great dinosaur book, and small note cards. It doesn't hurt to ask & make sure they understand it is voluntary. You should mention this Wish List to the students the day of the Open House.