Ideas for after testing?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by K-5_teacherguy, Mar 31, 2016.

1. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Mar 31, 2016

My district starts state testing next week. Each day, I will have a 20-30 minute gap after testing finishes, and before our morning rotations begin (I teach 5th grade and we are departmentalized). What types of things do you have your students do right after testing finishes up for the day? I feel like it needs to be something not so rigorous, but I also don't want to just be wasting time. We also need to stay fairly quiet, because the 4th grade classrooms all around us will still be testing when we finish.

Unfortunately an extra recess is not an option, because there will already be two other grade levels outside when our testing concludes. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 31, 2016

My first year of teaching, when I taught third grade, my teaching partner and I did a novel study on "Because of Winn-Dixie". We figured it was a fun and engaging way to still teach some content but not put too much extra pressure on the students. When time allowed, we also did math centers, but we didn't teach anything new.

Obadiah likes this.
  4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 31, 2016

I give crossword puzzles on review topics or word searches for spelling words. It keeps them quiet and busy without requiring much mental effort.

Obadiah and otterpop like this.
  5. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Apr 1, 2016

Obadiah likes this.
  6. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Apr 1, 2016

I'd recommend reading a novel aloud to the students. It would be a break from deskwork and test stress, (some research is indicating that modern students experience much stress from standardized tests), and reading aloud is something students usually don't get enough of but is very beneficial even at a 5th grade level. There are a lot of new children's books on the market; perhaps reading the first one in a series will encourage the students to read more in that series.

bella84 and MLB711 like this.
  7. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Apr 1, 2016

I can't believe I didn't think of a read aloud! My class loves nothing more, and like you said, there is never enough time.

Thank you for the ideas.

MLB711 and mathmagic like this.
  8. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Apr 2, 2016

+1 on a read aloud (although I have been playing Audible audio books instead of actually reading this year)

I am also giving my students adult coloring book pages and fresh colored pencils for testing this year as a "finish early" activity (our AP has said they can color instead of putting their heads down but I feel like that still may change) and to do during our break after testing.

9. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Apr 2, 2016

I do testing all month. I plan on reading Hatchet with them during the off time. They will be doing a book report, but a condensed version.

10. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Apr 4, 2016

Haha, I was right - our rules HAVE changed. Turns out our students can only read if they finish early (or sit quietly) - no coloring or drawing. I am still going to have coloring materials for once testing is complete during our 30 minute break time before we go back to instruction, though.